5 Things to Consider Before Getting Unicorn Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I have been dying my hair for years now, and I don’t see myself stopping anytime soon. Hair coloring has even become my hobby more than anything else. Other women like to go on shopping trips, I like to spend money on my hair. I mean, it is our most worn accessory. For all those out there (men and women) who want to take a ride on the wild side of colors, I highly encourage it, and applaud you! But, be sure you know the strings attached, because it’s far from a one-step process.

So if you, or someone you know, wants to dye their hair, ESPECIALLY an unnatural color (bright colors, neon, multi, etc.), then I recommend you read these five considerations beforehand.

1. Money, money, money

If you are going to do it, get it done right the first time. And I’m going to be straight up with you guys, it can get expensive. Just to give an idea, it can be anywhere from $50 (DIY) to $200+, depending on what you want for your hair, how long you want it to last, where you get it done (I recommend knowing a person or knowing a person who knows a person), how well your hair takes in color, etc., the list goes on.

As you can see, there are many different factors before you get your hair to be the beautiful shade you want it to be. That’s why I see coloring my hair as an investment, and why I have to budget it out. That’s not even counting the special supplies you need for hair care afterward. I think it’s worth it, but not everyone does. You just have to decide if you want to take the plunge.

2. Time

Beauty is a process. Unfortunately, patience is really hard, especially when you have to live with the different stages. Hair can only take so much bleach and color, until it needs a break. It’s similar to how we can only adult for so long before we feel the need to nap and forget about our responsibilities. Depending on your hair color right now and where you want to get it to, it can take several sessions with some days sporting the “in-between hair”.

I have naturally dark, dark, dark, brown hair and I have to go through several rounds of bleach before it is light enough to dye. Which means for 3-5 days in-between, I have blonde, spotty, hair. You can totally plan around it, wear hats, or wear your hair confidently no matter the color. Just keep in mind, there could be awkward colors, before you finally get your dream color.

3. Bleaching and taking a cut

If you have long, dark hair, want a fun tone, but are not willing to cut, this is not for you. Unless you have blonde hair, there will be some bleaching/ lightening required on your hair before your color will be able to come out. And even though dye doesn’t damage hair, bleach does. To keep your hair healthy, your stylist might recommend a trim to get all the newly fried ends cut before or after you put the color in.

Bleach doesn’t wash out or fade with time. It literally strips the hair shafts of their pigment, preparing them to intake whatever shade you want to inject into them. This means that your hair can feel brittle because it is vulnerable. Be careful with your hair care and be sure to use moisturizing hair products until the color is put in. Bleaching is probably the worst part of changing your hair color, but a necessary part for us dark-haired gals. 

4. Upkeep

Congrats! You made it to the end… of coloring! Now your hair is beautiful and it is beginning to feel like hair again (thank goodness the bleach faze is over). Now you get to cherish it, and have fun with it. But like everything, there are pros and cons. Like, for your next handful of showers, you are going to feel like Carrie with your color running from your hair and possibly staining your tub. (Pro Tip: Rubbing alcohol takes stains right out of the bathtub.) Also, your pillowcases might become a new color. And be careful with any water activity, which includes dancing in the rain. 

The above things are easy enough to handle, but hair care is the most important change you’ll need to think about to help keep lasting color. I recommend purple shampoo, it helps keep unwanted green tints away from light or colored hair. There are many different brands you can get, I prefer Generic because it works and it’s cheap, which is my favorite combination. (Pro Tip: Washing your hair frequently causes the color to drain out faster.)

5. Good days and Bad days

Hair is still hair, even if it is beautiful. Don’t be discouraged if your hair looks greasy, or if it isn’t playing nice…that happens. We are the worst critics of our own reflection, so it might not even be as bad a hair day as you think. But, that’s why top knots and messy buns are wonderful, they hide bad hair days quite well. 

Besides, you’re going to have a lot of good days. There is almost nothing better than having strangers tell you how beautiful your hair is, and it happens a lot when you stand out. Just remember, life is too short to be like everyone else. So have fun with your hair. 

Visual Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor