5 Reasons Why Volunteering is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

College is full of stress and it feels like you are constantly struggling trying to find time to fit everything into your day. But one thing that I think makes it all a little bit easier is volunteering. Yes, it is trying to squeeze one more thing in our impossibly busy schedules but it is something that benefits you and your community more than that extra episode of Friends or another hour of sleep. A lot of college students spend time volunteering to add to their resumes or because another organization they are involved in requires a certain number of hours each semester, but everyone should want to volunteer simply for the warm fuzzies you get from helping out. Here are some reasons why volunteering while in college is the one of best ways to pass yout time.

1. It helps your community: Whether it is helping to set-up an event or donating your time doing whatever the organization needs you for it really helps the community. Nonprofits rely on volunteers heavily to help them get through the absurd workload that comes with being a nonprofit. They need more bodies to get things done so they can continue to help the communities in their specific way.
  2. It looks good on resumes: Even though this shouldn’t be your sole reason for volunteering your time, it doesn’t hurt to have a few big volunteer experiences on your resume or LinkedIn profile. Jobs love to see that you’re being productive outside of school and outside of your clubs.
  3. It helps you meet new people and establish professional connections: Along the lines of padding your resume, volunteering can be an amazing way to meet people and make professional connections that can be helpful later on. It tends to force people to branch out of their social circles and it creates relationships you couldn’t make otherwise. These relationships could be the key to getting your dream job after college or having someone write you an amazing letter of recommendation for grad school.
  4. It is super fun: Some of my most favorite memories in college have been days spent volunteering. The time I spent the day at the Humane Society of Utah with my roommate walking and playing with dogs or the time I volunteered with about 15 of my sorority sisters to help set up a 5K at 5 a.m. when it was basically snowing are examples of some of my favorite days,  and it’s because we were volunteering. (Let’s be real, everyone wants to play with puppies all day.)
  5. It makes you feel great: A day of volunteering makes you feel amazing, because you contributed to making someone’s day a little better. It gives you the warm fuzzies that you’ll eventually pass on to someone else. When you feel good it is contagious to the people around you.

So let’s start spreading the warm fuzzies around Salt Lake. If you are wondering where to even start with your newfound love of volunteering, I am one step ahead of you with a list of amazing places to volunteer.

If you like animals:

Utah Humane Society

https://www.utahhumane.org/get-involved/become-volunteer

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

http://bestfriends.org/sanctuary/volunteer

If you like kids:

Big Brothers Big Sisters

http://bbbsu.org/volunteer/

If you’re not sure where to start and you are a University of Utah student:

Bennion Center

Just trying to eat pizza for every meal and embody the spirit of the 100 emoji University of Utah 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor