gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Perfect Valentine’s Day Dates That’ll Save You Some Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Want to have the best, most romantic Valentine’s Day yet with your special guy, but a little strapped for cash? Here are five date ideas that are definitely in your budget and sure to save you some money!

1.     Picnic At Home.

Spread out a blanket in your living room or dorm room and line it with tea candles. (Saving tip: don’t grab the expensive ones from a fancy store, just cute little ones from Hobby Lobby will do the trick!) Pack a “gourmet” meal of things like dinner rolls, cheeses, grapes, of course strawberries, and for dessert pick up two pieces of cake from the grocery store bakery. Then once you guys are done eating, lay out on the blanket and ask him to be your Valentine. (Romance tip: turn off the lights and eat in the candlelight!)

2.     A Scavenger Hunt of Love.

Make five or six little clues of different places around campus or your city that you and your boy have been, like the place you had your first kiss, blah blah blah. (Romance tip: have the clues include personal things about your relationship so he remembers some of your favorite times together!) On the last couple of clues, have one take him to a dinner, the next an ice cream shop, and lastly back to his place! (Saving tip: figure out a place that he loves to eat at that isn’t going to break the budget of the evening, like Chipotle. Everyone loves Chipotle.)

3.     Balloon Popping!

Tell him he has to come over to kill a spider, fix the sink, whatever task you think he is capable of handling (obviously you can too but ya know, humor him). Once he gets there, have 20 balloons scattered all around your home full of heart shaped confetti and notes about why you love him. (Saving tip: grab balloons and heart shaped confetti at the dollar store—he’ll never know the difference!) In a few of the balloons include little things like chap stick and a note that says “I love your lips!” I guarantee he’ll be ready to kiss you! (Romance tip: have chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge on hand for after the balloon popping!)

4.     The Classic Dinner and a Movie.

Make dinner for him! (Saving tip: generic brands of items taste the exact same and are usually $3-$4 cheaper!) As your eating dinner pull out a handwritten note for him that explains how you felt when you first saw him and how much you love him now. Then afterwards watch that god-awful movie he loves but you hate. (Romance tip: Have the movie already in the laptop or DVD player so when you sit down he’s even more surprised!)

5.     Take a Dip in Fondue.

Have all of the ingredients to make fondue. You can even use a pot instead of having the fountain! Grab all of your favorite treats like strawberries, bananas, pretzels, and angel food cake! (Saving tip: TONS of grocery stores are jacking up the price on all of their V-Day treats, before you shop print out a couple coupons off of the internet to save big!) 

Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor