The 5 People You Love to Hate at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The gym can be a great place to get a good workout in and relieve some of the stress that comes as a side effect once you are in college. However, using your school’s gym membership means sharing the gym with, well, everyone else you go to school with. And sometimes that’s a little hard. Read on for the list of five kinds of people you just can’t but hate on at the gym. 

1. The guy that corrals every single weight next to his bench.

I’m trying to finish this workout before my class tonight…is this really necessary?

2. The couple that is somehow all over each other while they are working out

Do you really need to hold hands as you walk in between stations?

3. The douchebag that is hardcore mansplaining weights to his girlfriend

If I hear you tell her to “become one with the bar” one more time I’m going to vomit. 

4. The “Bro”

You know him. Leggings under basketball shorts. Protein shake by his bench. Headphones in. Probably bites if you disturb him while he’s in the zone.

5. The group of friends that are here to hang out

Shout out to the people that are taking up three lanes of the indoor track as they walk and take selfies.

Sometimes, other gym-goers are the literal worst. Hopefully, the people at your school’s gym are more a minor pet peeve than a major nuisance. If not, at home workouts might be a way for you to avoid a crowded gym.  

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.