5 Must-Do’s for the Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Fall is upon us and Halloween is almost here! Don’t miss out on the fun traditons you did as a kid just because you are now in college. It is fall break, so this is the perfect week to partake in these fun activities. Here are the 5 must-do’s for the Halloween season:

1.    Carve pumpkins!

This is a MUST. Get a group of friends together and make a trip to the pumpkin patch. Not only will you find plenty of pumpkins, but you’ll also get your hands on plenty of yummy treats like caramel apples and many other freshly harvested seasonal fruits!

2.    Make a pumpkin pie!

This is one of the easiest desserts to make! Here’s a simple recipe:

Pumpkin Pie Recipe:

(Original recipe makes 1 9-inch pie)

Ingredients

2 eggs

1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust  

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425° F.

Combine eggs, pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl and mix until combined.

Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish; pour pumpkin mixture into the crust.

Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and bake until filling is set (35 to 40 minutes.)

3.    Have a fall photo shoot!

There are far too many beautiful colors this time of year to not capture any photos! Bundle up in a cute hat, sweater, and boots, and snap away! Tip: Make a giant leaf pile and just have fun with it! These pictures always turn out the most natural and candid.

4.    Have a scary movie marathon!

Get a group of friends together, have everyone bring a festive snack or drink, and cuddle up for the night! Don’t forget about these scary movie classics: The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, The Ring, and many more…

5.    Make your own costume!

Homemade costumes are always the best. Check out some cool ideas online, then start piecing it all together. You never know what you’ll find at a thrift shop. You might even end up changing your entire costume idea when you just can’t pass up wearing one of your awesome discoveries! Plus, this will stray you from looking like a complete basic on Halloween. We’ve all seen the cat, cop, and nurse costume 1,000 times…

Kayla Van Hoose 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor