This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Every October, we are bombarded by a constant social media stream of “DIY Costumes.” Difficulty ranges from the quintessential black cat costume to a DIY Wonder Woman costume with hand-sewn gloves. Additionally, while some costumes are advertised as “easy,” many require extensive experience with a sewing machine, and prioritize purchasing fabrics that may or may not be affordable on a college budget.

The following costumes are adorable DIYs that work for most craft skill sets, and coming in at $20 or under, are affordable to most collegiette wallets. Access to a glue gun is required for many of these costumes, and is not included in the total cost. Mini glue guns can usually be purchased at a craft store, super store, or even a dollar store for under $5. Additionally, in the below price calculations, extras such as red high heels or pink sunglasses are left out of total costs in order to maximize affordability. Prices are based off of local approximations for the Salt Lake City area–the actual cost of each DIY might be more of less depending on your location. 

With that said, let’s get crafting!

Pineapple

This costume is a perfect affordable DIY. Basically, the dress can be something you already own or purchased very inexpensively. When I did this costume two years ago, I bought a yellow dress on sale at a local consignment boutique for all of $8. The headband can be made from supplies purchased at the Dollar Tree.

Headband-$1

Toilet Paper Roll-Free

Green Poster Paper-$1

Dress-$8

Total: $10

Ice Cream Cone

This costume can be completed on a budget, assuming that you have access to a hole punch and a white t-shirt. The instructions use a belt to make the tutu, but a ribbon can be used in its place to make this costume more affordable–just tie your tulle to the ribbon in the same way the instructions say to tie ribbon to the belt. Leave maybe four to five inches on each side of the ribbon and try the tutu on periodically as you tie the tulle to make sure you are achieving the desired level of fullness.

Gold Cardstock-$1

Rainbow Popsicle Sticks-$4

Tulle (1-2 big spools, 4 little spools)-$10

Ribbon-$2

Total: $17

Gumball Machine

This is a great budget Halloween costume if you have a red skirt or dress lying around that you no longer use. If not, you can always buy a red or dark pink skirt–this dark pink number from Forever 21 can be purchased for under $5.

Skirt: $5

Pom-Poms: $4

Headband: $1

Gray Felt: $1

Sharpie: $1

Total: $12

Queen of Hearts

Although the actual instructions don’t act as a recipe for the perfect budget costume, this can totally be done for under $20 if you modify some of the original instructions. Instead of buying a fringe top, substitute a black tank top that you already own. And instead of buying a tulle skirt, you can make one using the instructions for the ice cream cone costume from above.

Alternately, you can wear a black or white dress that you already have, but the below price calculations will be based on the assumption that a tulle skirt was fashioned.

Additionally, there is no need to buy a pricey clutch. Instead, substitute a clutch you already own, thrift one, or simply use a cheap black zip-up bag. Price calculations will be based off of buying a cheap black zip-up bag. Additionally, I would ditch the red heels, and instead substitute a cheap pair of red of black flats that I already owned.

Deck of Cards: $1

Tulle (1-2 large spools, 4 small spools): $10

Red felt (three sheets): $3

Ribbon (for tutu): $1

Black Zip-Up: $3

Total: $18

Rosie the Riveter

While this costume requires that you be a bit better at hair than the average collegiate, it’s a great option on a budget. After acing this hair tutorial, you can wear a baseball tee or a chambray shirt, depending on which one you own. If you don’t own a baseball tee or a chambray shirt, you can easily purchase an inexpensive navy v-neck for this costume. Finish off your look with red lipstick and a matching bandana.

Lipstick: $2

Bandana: $2

Navy tee: $6

Total Cost: $10

Hopefully the above tutorials offer affordable and adorable solutions to your yearly problem of “What should I dress up as this year?” Happy Halloween, collegiettes! 

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor