This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hats are a must have accessory for every girl’s closet. They look good in any season, and they make your outfit more chic and fun. We all know though that finding the perfect hat doesn’t always go as planned and can be a pain in the butt! Don’t worry; Her Campus Utah is here to help and to make your hair pulling, stressing, and crying go away. We are going to tell you the five DO’s for purchasing the perfect hat!

1. DO make sure the color fits you.

When picking the perfect hat you need to make sure the contrast between your hair and the hat work well. Color is important because you don’t want the hat to wash you out. Blondes should consider wearing navy, black, and bright colors that pop. Brunettes will look good in reds, and tans, like shown above on Vanessa Hudgens. The contrast between her hair color and the hat really compliment each other well. Red heads will look best in olive or navy colored hats.

2. DO think of the rest of your closet.

This is a huge DO when buying anything for your wardrobe. Be sure to think of all the garments you have in your closet and what will compliment well with your hat. Buying something new is always exciting until you realize you have nothing to wear with it. You want to be able to know you have something in your wardrobe that your hat will pair great with. That way you know it won’t just sit in the corner collecting dust!

3. DO remember the season.

It’s important to know what season your hat fits best in. In the winter and fall you want to buy hats that are made of cotton, wool felt, or any thick material. In the summer and spring you want to be wearing sun hats, straw fedoras, and anything light weight. Imagine wearing a felt hat in 90-degree weather, so not fun!

4. DO look at the price.

Like we said before, most hats are seasonal! Make sure to always check the price of your future hat and make sure the price is reasonable. You may only be wearing it for a season or two. If the price is a little steep, but you really love it, put it on hold and walk around to other stores as a way to buy time to think about your possible purchase. This will help you avoid regretting your bank account draining purchase. Just remember, you can always find hats at other stores with different prices. It’s like finding the right guy. Don’t just settle! 

5. DO love it!

Always ask yourself three questions: Do I love this? Do I need this? Is this me? If you answered a confident “yes” to all three, then your hat is must! You have to be true to your style when buying a hat and not because your friend told you to. If you feel confident, beautiful and sexy in your new hat, everyone will take notice and your new hat will be a success!

Her Campus Utah has given you the 5 most important DO’s for purchasing the perfect hat. Now it is time for you to go out find yours!