30 Thoughts You Have While Getting a Piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The decision was finalized and there was no going back. With a little push from my roommates we somehow ended up in my car, on our way to KOI Piercing Studio. It had been more than 6 months since the idea of piercing my septum first introduced itself. It was during a conversation between my roommate and I when we decided that if I pierced my septum she would shave a portion of her head. This was an agreement we made, to ensure that neither one of us would chicken out. Well, she was brave enough to keep up her part of the deal, but I kept pushing off my part. The time finally came where I had the perfect opportunity to get my septum pierced. I was no longer working for Deer Valley, I had just moved into my own place, and I didn’t have a job that would prevent me from showing off my new piercing. Here are 30 thoughts that went through my mind while getting my piercing:

1. Ahhh this is finally happening, I’m so proud of my sense of spontaneity.
  2. You’re going to look so fierce once it’s done.
  3. Alright, it’s time, step on the gas girl, you’re going to miss that green light.
  4. Wait. What have I done? What am I doing? 
  5. You’re almost to Koi, you can’t go back now. 
  6. Will my friends hate me if I chicken out? 
  7. Never mind, they won’t let that happen. 
  8. If they weren’t in this car right now I’d probably be high tailing it back home. 
  9. One foot in front of the other, just make it inside. 
  10. Wow, it smells so earthy in here, I feel so safe.
  11. Oh no, now I have to tell them why I’m here. There’s definitely no going back now.
  12. She probably thinks I’m such a noob. I just asked way too many questions.
  13. Okay so now I just wait? Time for some distractions. Ooh would you look at all those giant plugs. How does that fit in someone’s ears? That looks heavy as shit. 
  14. Well, now there’s nothing else left to look at. I can’t be alone with my thoughts right now. 
  15. I feel sick. I think I need to sit down, I just tripped on nothing. 
  16. Yoga breath time. Wait, I don’t do yoga. Panic breaths, yes panic breath time. 
  17. Okay. Time to shut down all of your thoughts. Hey! It’s kind of working.
  18. Ugh why is this taking so long, my anxiety is getting out of hand.
  19. Oh no, there’s a dreaded man walking my way, what does he want? Is it my time?
  20. IT IS MY TIME 
  21. Alright, here’s a little pep talk: Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Pain is evanescent, looking cool is eternal. Just remember, if you’re scared, the needle can sense it. 
  22. I feel like I’m at the doctors. Great, the two scariest places combined in one
  23. Yeah, laying down sounds fantastic right now. So glad he asked.
  24. Hahaha, he’s putting his fingers in my nose. 
  25. You have a few more minutes until the actual thing happens, relax, he’s just pricking your nose to mark the spot.
  26. HE LIED 
  27. Is it really done? I don’t believe it. That was way too fast.
  28. That didn’t even hurt. Why was I such a baby? I can’t believe I almost chickened out on this. 
  29. Oh heyy who’s that good lookin’ chick in the mirror? Oh right, dats me. 
  30. Yes. It’s finally done. I am so dang brave. 

If you’ve been thinking about getting a piercing, check out Koi Piercing Studio, they are extremely professional, clean and experienced, I would highly recommend them. My experience there was exceptionally positive and I was really impressed by the speed and painlessness of their needle work. Also, please remember that any time you’re getting a piercing it’s important that you are not under any influences. Not only is it illegal, but you put yourself at risk for heavy bleeding because many substances thin your blood. Show the piercer and yourself some respect by doing your time, and taking the pain sober. After all, getting a piercing while under the influence is like being proud of getting an A on a test you cheated on, the glory is unearned. Stay safe fellow Utes and good luck!

Logan is a fellow Ute majoring in Sociology. She is an avid bird watcher, and spends her down time knitting infinity scarves and crocheting wall rugs. Her second home is at Trader Joe's where she can be found endlessly returning to the free sample table with absolutely no shame. Her greatest accomplishment to date is casually petting a wild bird at the youthful age of 3. When she is not taming wild animals she can be found pursuing her latest talent, that is cooking zucchini to perfection, and working on her Instagram model portfolio. One day she hopes to live in a van down by the river. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor