$20 & UNDER Dates To Do This Holiday Season in Utah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Tis the Holiday Date Season–the perfect time for ice skating, drinking hot cocoa by the fire, and admiring holiday lights with that special someone. And while there are infinite options for holiday/winter fun, you can treat your loved one to a special night under $20! Yes, you heard that right. Check out this list below to take advantage of all the holiday spirit Utah has to offer!

Temple Lights: FREE

35 acres of lights streamed across Temple Square located in downtown Salt Lake City, all for your viewing pleasure. It is the best opportunity to hold your honey’s hand, and take a nice stroll while sipping on some hot chocolate, all while admiring the views. Along with the lights there are many ethnic nativity scenes on display around the square, and make sure not to miss the glowing paper lanterns displaying the word “peace” in several different languages! If you’re lucky, you may even arrive on night where a live performance is taking place, from bands to choirs; which just add to the holiday spirit. Now for everyone’s favorite word: FREE! You can relish all of this, as many times as you desire before January 2nd, and for the price of zero!

FIVE CAROLS FOR CHRISTMAS MUSICAL: $16

This heartwarming, yet hilarious musical has become one of Utah’s favorites! The musical tells a tale of five best friends all named Carol, as they prepare for their annual Christmas carol performance. Its ratings aren’t the only impressive aspect about this event, but general admission for two is only $16! The performances are held in the early dates of December at the Midvale Performing Arts Center. No better way to spend a snowy night than laughing with a loved one.

GALLIVAN OUTDOOR ICE RINK CENTER: $18

Under the stars, surrounded by holiday lights, and an amazing photo opt by the giant Christmas tree, ice skating at the Gallivan Center is the place to BE. Rest your feet by the cozy outdoor heat lamps set up around the rink, and snuggle up next to your cute date in the busy city of Salt Lake. The price of $18 includes two people, and ice skate rentals for the entirety of the night. It can’t get better than that!

WASSAIL AND WAFFLES 12/12: FREE

On December 12th at the Broadway Centre in Salt Lake City, create your own waffle, and enjoy a Christmas movie starting at 10am! Take a cruise around the venue while enjoying some hot wassail, and you can even meet Santa! Who doesn’t love food, Santa, and movies? This event is put on by the Salt Lake City Film Society, and it is free admission.

CHRISTMAS EVE PARADE AND FIREWORKS @ SNOWBIRD: FREE

Snowbird resort is having an extravagant night all for FREE. Get in the holiday cheer by meeting at 6pm on Christmas Eve at the Plaza Deck. No need to worry about being cold, the venue has bonfires all about, and it’s the perfect time to bring out the s’mores! Enjoy the famous fireworks burrowed up under a soft blanket, and stay afterwards to meet Santa and participate in a candlelight service.

ZOO LIGHTS: $18

For the month of December, the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City will give you a night filled with hundreds of animal themed lights and displays. This will be the zoo’s 11th year of holding this extremely loved event, and it’s going to be better than ever. You can even get a pair of hologram glasses to glam up the experience even more. For each night there will be a certain activity, whether it be ice carvers, arts and crafts, or even animal tattoo’s you can have it all included with your general admission of $18 for .  It will light up your world (literally)….

SPORTS DEN RENTALS: $16-$20

Sports Den, a premier outdoors shop has discounted rates on snowshoes, and cross country ski rentals this month! Don’t miss out on a scenic hike because of snow, and rent snowshoes for you and your lucky date. Only $16 to spend and entire day exploring Utah’s breathtaking nature. If you’re looking for even more excitement Sports Den can rent cross country ski’s for a whole day just for $20 combined for you and your date! If you love the outdoor adventures this date couldn’t be more ideal.

CHRISTMAS CRUISE: $16

Hop on a boat and take a tour down the Provo river, where thousands of lights will be placed and illuminating off of the water. All you have to do is bundle up, and the cruise will do the rest. Enjoy this relaxing night with a loved one for just $16 total! This attraction goes until the end of December, so grab your gloves and head on down!

PARADE OF GINGERBREAD HOMES: FREE

Through the month of December head down to Logan, UT and vote on your favorite gingerbread home! These are not your average gingerbread houses either, each are crafted and specialized to precision by an experienced architect. The winner will receive $100, and you can be a part of who is chosen. This event has become a loved local event, but welcomes everyone to come and enjoy this festive activity. It is free to view, and vote on your gingerbread creation of choice.

Now being a poor college student doesn’t mean missing out on all the winter fun. With this list of exciting holiday festivities under $20, you’ll be spreading Christmas cheer, without breaking the bank!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor