12 Cookies to Try When You’re Tired of Chocolate Chip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s lucky that I like baking, because I have an insatiable sweet tooth. A few weeks ago, I was in the mood for cookies, but not entirely sure which kind. Asking a couple of my friends what cookies I should make, they both responded with chocolate chip. Now, I enjoy chocolate chip cookies as much as the next person, but I had already made them the last two times I got an urge to bake. I followed through with making them, but all the while I was coming up with different varieties of cookies to make for next time. Here is a short list of the cookies I could come up with, and plan on making in the future!

1. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

Essentially the same fundamental recipe as what is used for chocolate chip, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies just slightly change the pace with different additions. The added ingredients can be adjusted depending on availability or taste preference. If you want use a different kind of nut (or none at all), go ahead! Do you really enjoy one of the additions? Add a bit more than is suggested in the recipe! Chocolate chip cookies are popular for being delicious, but also having a fairly simple and solid foundational recipe that can be adapted for a variety of ingredients. White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are one of many possible varieties.

2. Sugar Cookies

Sugar cookies are another classic cookie that can be adapted for multiple purposes. They are popular for special events, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be made for everyday consumption as well! Rolling the cookies in sugar before baking (as the recipe suggests) or putting frosting on top can add a nice touch, though the cookies are great by themselves. I like a cream cheese frosting, personally.

3. Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread cookies are particularly wonderful for being simple; traditionally, they only have three ingredients. There are plenty of ways to add your own unique touch to them (dip them in chocolate, frost them, add a bit of flavoring to the batter), but just sugar, butter, and flour create a wonderful cookie all by themselves. They are also great to dip into hot drinks.

4. Peanut Butter Cookies

I absolutely love the taste of peanuts, so these easily rank high on my personal list of favorite cookies. Peanut butter cookies themselves can be as complex or as simple as you want. One version I’ve been meaning to make for some time consists only of peanut butter, an egg, and sugar. There are slightly more complicated versions out there, but this is generally an easy and delicious cookie to make.

5. Oatmeal Cookies

Hear me out. Oatmeal cookies get a bad reputation because so often they are paired with raisins. I personally don’t mind raisins; however, they aren’t my favorite flavor, especially when I am expecting chocolate. On the other hand, I’ve never had a plain oatmeal cookie disappoint me. I especially like the touch of cinnamon. Feel free to add raisins if you want.  

6. Molasses Cookies

These are currently ranked as my favorite cookie. For anyone that is unsure about what molasses tastes like, it is a fairly unique flavor that is a large contributor to what we know gingerbread to be. So, if you like gingerbread, I suggest trying molasses cookies. Don’t try straight molasses, though. That’s a bad idea. I know that from personal experience.  

7. Lemon Cookies

Lemon cookies manage the sweet and sour dynamic magnificently. Plus, there’s something about citrus that makes you almost feel the warmth of the sun, even in the middle of the winter in Utah.

• Lemon Cookies with Sour Cream
  • This specific variation gets its own mention because it is way too delicious. In my hometown, there used to be a place where I could get absolutely the best lemon cookies I have ever eaten. Many people had asked for the recipe, and the only answer anyone received was that sour cream was an ingredient. Those cookies are no longer sold, and now I’m stuck searching for the recipe myself. Here’s one I’m hoping produces cookies as good as the ones I remember!

8. Ginger Cookies

You may have noticed that several of the cookies on this list are generally baked during one specific time of the year. For some people, that may make them special. For me, that just limits my chance to eat some of my favorites. Ginger adds a sharp and distinct flavor I can appreciate, plus the molasses adds a special richness to the cookie.  

9. Pumpkin Cookies

Again, this flavor is very prominent during one part of the year, and almost unheard of for the remainder. If you don’t get enough pumpkin with spiced lattes, milkshakes, and all the other products that use that flavor (and assuming you can find pumpkin at the store), pumpkin cookies can be enjoyed throughout the entirety of the year.  

10. No Bake Cookies

These cookies vary from the pattern of “mix these ingredients together and stick them in the oven” (as is implied by their name), but they are still simple to make! They are always popular as well, and sure to be eaten quickly. They also have the added benefit of easily being gluten free, unlike many others on the list.  

11. Coconut Macaroons

To be clear, this is not necessarily considered a cookie. It is also not a macaron. It is, however, delicious. If you like coconut, this is the dessert for you! Coconut macaroons are a staple for roadtrips in my family, and I’ve been looking for a recipe I can make. I have heard that these are more difficult to get right, though that might just be because everyone I know holds them to the standard of Wheat Montana (a bakery/farm chain in Montana), which shouldn’t be a problem here in Utah. Drizzle some chocolate over them if you want to make them even better, in my opinion.  

12. Montana Monster Cookie

I just had to add these on here. I’m from Montana, as hinted to in the previous entry, and these are a favorite in my house. Obviously, monster cookies can be found all over, but doesn’t the alliteration with Montana just roll off the tongue? The original Montana Monster Cookie generally doesn’t have the M&Ms suggested in this recipe, but I think the best thing about these kinds of cookies is that you can add whatever you want as additional ingredients. There’s a reason why they are loved in many different areas.

Have fun baking and eating these cookies! I know I will, especially the eating part!

Picture Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor