10 Relatable Quirks that Can Come with Social Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are all kinds of people in this world. There are those who enjoy the spotlight– and then there are those of us who will stop at nothing to avoid being thrust into the public’s eye. There are all kinds of levels to this reluctance: some simply prefer to lie low in the general sense of the word, while others will go to the extreme, occasionally ridiculous measures to make sure that they are rendered all but invisible. Here are a few anxiety-driven quirks that you fellow introverts may catch yourselves doing on the daily — I know I do. 

1. Ducking into the nearest bathroom when a big crowd of people is coming because there’s no way in hell you’re navigating through that flesh maze. 

2. Immediately leaving said bathroom when you discover that there are more than three other people inside at the same time. 

3. Leaving several seconds in between each chew when you eat something crunchy in public. You don’t want to be TOO loud TOO frequently.  

4. Holding the core of your eaten apple in your hand through an entire class period because you’re too nervous to get up and walk to the trash can in front of everyone. 

5. Staring intently at your phone when you walk through crowded areas, hoping no one will attempt to make eye contact with you. 

6. Faking a phone call when you’re afraid someone is on the brink of striking up a conversation with you. Also pretending to type out a text to no one, just to look like you’re busy. 

7. Getting to class 20+ minutes early so you don’t have to go up to a stranger and ask “is this seat taken?” because there are no more available seats that aren’t surrounded by people. You need first pick of the seats.

8. Sitting in that exact same seat for the rest of the semester out of fear that if you move, you’ll be taking someone else’s self-assigned seat, and they will automatically hate you forever. 

9. Holding very still throughout class even when it gets uncomfortable. Changing positions could disturb the people around you. And what if your foot accidentally bumps them when you uncross your legs?! No. 

10.  Pretending to fish through your bag/purse for something when you’re in a confined space with another human being, just so you don’t succumb to the pressure of making awkward conversation to fill the painful silence.

So call us crazy. Maybe we are, a little. But these things are automatic–there’s little conscious thought behind doing them. Sure, we can try to work on them if they become an issue. But don’t be ashamed if you do any of these things (and more) throughout your day. Just live your life, be happy, be comfortable, and be you. Your quirks are part of you, and they’re adorable. You don’t have to change a thing. 

I've been told that I look like a young Will Smith, except white, female and with completely different facial features.  Please contact me if you want to send me pictures of your dog. It is greatly appreciated. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor