This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Have you heard about the endemic sickness crawling over the UT campus called The UT plague? You aren’t truly a University of Tampa student if you haven’t experienced the UT plague. You would think living in the sunny 90 degree weather of Florida that colds are non-existent. Nope, still happens. This cold spreads faster than Laser Team and burns your throat worse than a mistaken shot. We have all had it, and we all hate it. You never seem to know how or when you got it, or when it’s even going to go away.  Being sick at home is no fun, but it’s different at college when we don’t have our mother’s making us our favorite soups, or our furry friends to cuddle with. So what can we do to avoid this sickness?

1. Skip the Netflix and get a good night’s sleep

The immune system of a college student barely gets any breaks, between the late night studying during the week and binge drinking on weekends. When you’re tired your body does not have the energy to fight as hard. Some sleep might bolster your defenses against colds. So let the perpetual naps begin and hit the hay earlier than 1:00AM for the first time since high school.

2. Shots! Shots! Shots!

Alright sorry, false alarm. I’m not actually talking about ripping shots in SoHo. Flu shots! The Dickey Wellness center provides shots for free. Don’t all college kids love taking advantage of free things (ven influenza shots)?  For the large majority of us flying north for Thanksgiving and winter break, it is important to get the vaccine. The Flu can be airborne and is easily contracted on flights.

3. Emergen-C

The only thing that should be stored as readily as ramen noodles are some packets of Emergen-C, or what I like to call Magic in a powder form. Whether you are already feeling symptoms of being sick, or you feel the plague creeping up, use Emergen-C. The powder drink mix comes in a variety of flavors to work as a vitamin supplement. Flooding your system with surplus vitamins will work to fight colds and keep your immune system strong. Hey, I even heard it’s not a bad chaser.

4. Wash your hands

This one is a no-brainer but we often forget. Wash your hands! Germs can lives for 24 hours or more on a surface. In our day in age we are constantly touching and putting our face against one of the dirtiest surfaces in our living space: our cell phones! Our keyboards are another germ-infested surface that as college students we are constantly exposed to. So invest in some hand-sanitizer and give your phone and laptop a quick wipe with a Clorox wipe every now and then.

5. Eat right!

We all understand the struggle of eating right with campus food options, but there is no better time to try to load up on some healthy foods. Fruits seem to go more extinct every day. The Caf bananas and apples can’t be the last fruits left in this world!)Fruits and veggies support your immune system, and taste better than most cough syrup. It is also important to start fitting more calories in your diet. When sick the body needs more calories to provide your body with the energy to function normally. With that being said, try to keep a more consistent eating schedule so your body can maintain high energy levels to start to heal.

6. Work out

Another good motivation to go to the gym, working out enhances your immune system function! So get your sneakers on and exercise. If you’re not big on exercise hit one of the many yoga classes offered during the week at McNiff. Classes work to make you break a sweat as you build strength, detoxify, tone, massage internal organs, improve digestion, lower stress, improve posture, energize, and enhance your mood.

7. Pour it up

Just like our mothers always told us, get hydrated! Dehydration is common when you become ill. One way or another (in matters I would rather not discuss) your body is losing fluids. Gatorade, ginger ale, fruit juices, water, and teas are all great for your body when you are fighting a cold! The electrolytes in Gatorade not only work wonders for hangovers, but also for overcoming illness. Gatorade is formulated to replenish sugar electrolytes and fluid lost from dehydration. Drop a spoonful of honey in your tea for sweet relief from an irritating cough. Fruit juices and teas can be a wonderful source of Vitamin C, which supports immune function.

8. Share, share… That’s not so fair

We share everything with roommates usually whether we like it or not, but don’t make them suffer! Avoid getting anyone else sick. Throw out your dirty tissues and sanitize. Cough into your arm, not your hands. Harlem Shake instead of handshake… Is that even still a thing?

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Hi guys! My name is Kristin Collins, I am a sophomore at University of Tampa studying Public Health. I am from Princeton, New Jersey. My dream in life is to travel the world, maybe ride an elephant or two considering they are my favorite animal! I am probably the only college kid who loves the fresh start of an early monday morning. My biggest fear is wasabi, and sometimes cilantro. My favorite station on spotify is mood boosters or some indie jams.