Spring Break Guide: Puerto Rico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Got any plans for Spring Break? If not, don’t worry. Anything you could possibly want to do during the break you can find in Puerto Rico. Located in the Caribbean, this island is filled with some of the world’s most beautiful beaches, hospitable locals, and exquisite food and music; a mix of our African, Spanish and Taíno roots. Being a U.S. territory, Puerto Rico uses the same currency and a large portion of the population is bilingual, speaking both English and Spanish.

To experience all that Puerto Rico has to offer in a week is impossible, but this seven day guide squeezes in all of the activities I think are essential to complete your visit.

DAY 1: OLD SAN JUAN

San Juan is the island’s capital, and is a must on the list. Walk around the cobblestone streets along alleys filled with restaurants, stores and bars. Grab breakfast at “Café Cultura” and then head off to “El Morro” to fly kites and enjoy the view of the Atlantic Ocean. Take a walk along “El Paseo de la Princesa” where there are tent shops that sell handmade jewelry and art.  Make sure to eat lunch at Pirilo, where you can find the best pizza on the island. As the sun sets, stay around to enjoy the nightlife by sipping on mojitos and dancing to salsa and reggaeton.

DAY 2: CULEBRA

Puerto Rico is rich in natural treasures, so it’s no surprise that we have one of the world’s most beautiful beaches; Flamenco Beach in Culebra. Culebra is an island off the east coast of Puerto Rico. To get to Culebra you can take a ferry or an airplane. Warning: Due to the high demand of tourist and locals, the ferry fills up fast and being in line at 4 AM for it won’t guarantee you a spot.

DAY 3: EL YUNQUE

Luquillo is just a 45-minute drive from the island’s capital where you can find El Yunque, Puerto Rico’s national rainforest. This day is packed with hiking and diving into waterfalls to cool off from the humid heat, so wear a bathing suit and comfortable shoes. Finish the day off with food; make sure to try “el mofongo relleno de pollo” (fried plantain stuffed with chicken) and the fresh coconut water or passion fruit juice.

DAY 4: THE WEST COAST

Time for a road trip! Starting in Aguadilla and going all the way down to Cabo Rojo will offer you a perfect route filled with beautiful views and tons of beaches. Here’s a list of a few places I recommend going to:

Aguadilla – Crash Boat Beach, El Muelle de Azúcar & Survival Beach

Rincón – English Rose (food), The Lighthouse & Domes Beach

Mayagüez – La Plaza de Mayagüez (town square)

Cabo Rojo – La Plaza de Cabo Rojo (town square), Playuela Beach, Buyé Beach, La Parguera & The Lighthouse

DAY 5:  BIOLUMINESCENT BAY

These bays are among the many other natural treasures that Puerto Rico has to offer. Puerto Rico is home to three of the brightest bioluminescent bays in the world (there are only five of these bays in the world). These rare natural spectacles can be seen in Cabo Rojo, Fajardo and Vieques.

DAY 6: TORO VERDE

If you’re an adrenaline junkie this is the place for you. Toro Verde is a park located in Orocovis that holds the Guinness World Record for having the longest zip line in the world. The Monster stretches 1.57 miles and stands at a height of 8,300 ft. Besides zip lining, they offer suspension bridges, obstacle courses, and tours for sightseeing as well.

DAY 7: CHINCHORREO

Don’t get scared by the word “Chinchorreo” (eating lots of fried delicious food). This is basically another road trip, but instead of stopping at beaches you stop at small kiosk (chinchorreo) where they sell typical Puerto Rican food like tostones, bacalaitos, alcapurrias, empanadillas and lechón. Even if you don’t know what these items are or how to pronounce it, try it. You won’t regret it.

I hope that by the end of this article you have another tab open on your browser looking for flights from Tampa to Puerto Rico.

Claudia is a sophomore at The University of Tampa. As a Bio major on the Pre-Med track she's got her head buried in books most of the time. When she's not studying Darwin's theory of evolution and calculating the yield of chemical reactions she loves to do anatomical sketches, take pictures for her IG, write short stories and get involved in as much volunteer work as she can. Being Puerto Rican she's got a lot of drive and passion that she puts towards her goal of becoming a Neonatal surgeon.
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us