jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Last week, on October 7th, 2017, I volunteered with a few of my sorority sisters at the Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation’s SpeakUp5k in Tampa, FL. I volunteered as part of the “Cheer Squad”, which means I got to stand along the perimeter of the race and cheer on those participating. I had so much fun with my friends and I am so happy that I got to volunteer (again!) for a cause that is so important to me and has the potential to change thousands of lives.

The Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation was created as a memorial to the individual for whom it is named. Cameron was only 16 years old when she passed away from an undiagnosed heart condition after completing her first half-marathon. Like many other children, teens, and adults within the global population, Cameron suffered from anxiety and depression: mental health issues she wanted to bring awareness and assistance to. In her honor, her parents and supporting community created the SpeakUp5k to bring awareness and support to those with mental health issues. The mission of the Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation “is to fulfill Cameron’s dream and legacy by being a positive force that works to cultivate awareness and understanding of teenage depression and anxiety.”

After a successful inaugural SpeakUp5k Tampa, this was the second year Tampa was able to host this particular run. At this run in particular, the SpeakUp5k donates a portion of the funds raised to the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay to support their Florida Health Transitions program. Statistics are not yet available for this years’ proceeds, but last year the foundation was able to donate $10,000 dollars to the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay.

To learn more about the Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation or to find a SpeakUp5k near you, visit www.ckgfoundation.org. If you are in the Tampa area and in need of mental health assistance, or you want to learn more about the services provided, please visit https://www.crisiscenter.com/. It is time to end the stigma about mental health issues. Reach out and SpeakUp!

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us