Reasons to Love Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Every year it seems like Christmas season starts earlier and earlier. November 1st is filled with red and green and Santa and reindeer. It seems like everyone is forgetting the amazing holiday that comes in between… THANKSGIVING. Lately, it has gotten a little more attention but still not nearly enough. This is why I love Thanksgiving:

1) THE FOOD!

Even if you aren’t the biggest fan of turkey or don’t care for cranberry sauce, there is bound to be something for you to eat! And who isn’t yearning for a homecooked meal (and maybe some leftovers).

2) On that note… Seeing your family

I have been away from home for quite a while. Sure, my parents came for Parents’ Weekend but I miss all my family so much! Yes, they will ask a million questions about school but I know they mean well.

3) Seeing pets

Every person I talk to misses their pet(s) so much! Who isn’t ready to pet their dog or play with their cat, I mean really?

4) Getting to cook

I love to cook and that isn’t easy in a dorm room and on a college budget. But going home for Thanksgiving means I can help my mom make the stuffing and mashed potatoes!

5) The Thanksgiving Day Parade

As much as I despise waking up early, I will do it for the Thanksgiving Day Parade. I think it is so much fun to watch. Plus, I remember watching it as a kid so the nostalgia kicks in a bit there.

6) Football

Never tell my dad that I miss watching football, but I do. My school doesn’t have a football team so maybe that is why I miss it so much.

7) …. Did I mention the food…?

I just really love stuffing and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie and…. you get it.

8) Black Friday Shopping

I work retail now but before, I loved Black Friday shopping. I would get to stay up all night and by things at discounted prices, yes please! (But if you work like me, Cyber Monday is just as good).

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us