Chili is NOT a Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Over Christmas break, my co-campus correspondent and I go into a heated debate over whether chili is a soup or not. We opened polls on our twitter accounts, asked our matches on tinder, took a census in sorority chapter, asked our HCUT team and we’re STILL arguing about it.

Honestly, this has reached unhealthy levels of obsession over chili so much so that it’s taken over both of our social lives. Anytime we meet a new person we must ask them immediately their stance on the issue.

I don’t think chili is a soup, however she does (she’s crazy).

Chili is NOT a soup for multiple reasons

For one, chili can be eaten on a plate; soup needs to be eaten in a bowl or cup.

It can also be eaten with other foods. For example, you can put it on a hotdog, on nachos, or just on bread. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO PUT SOUP ON TOP OF? LET ME KNOW.

Finally, chili is more of a meal, whereas soup is more of an appetizer. While I think a nice cheddar broc soup with a salad is a delicious meal, chili is much more o f a heavy fulfilling main course.

What do you think? Sound off in the comments and let us know if you’re normal and think chili isn’t a soup.

Sam is Campus Correspondent for the University of Tampa! She is a communications major with a concentration in media studies and a minor in new media production. For someone who is barely five feet tall, Sam has big aspirations. She hopes to become the next Rachel Hollis or Miranda Priestly. If all else fails however, she’ll have an exciting future as Mrs. Justin Bieber! Sam talks non stop about her sorority, Pi Beta Phi and can easily be spotted on campus wearing her letters. She is an avid brunch goer and disney enthusiast. Buy her some cheesecake and you're guaranteed friends.
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us