stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Beginner Runner’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

After an intensive winter here in Florida (yes, we reached 50º F), spring has finally sprung which means is time to get in shape for the near future summer weather and activities.

As everyone may know, running is a great method for losing and maintaining weight. However, it is tough to get started. Don’t worry; I have some tips that may help you reach your running goals.

Include Walking Intervals

You can avoid some injuries, fatigue, and exhaustion by walking in the middle of the run. A recommendation is to start by power walking for 30 minutes, and then every 10 minutes out of a half an hour change from running to walking.  You can even run for 10 seconds and walk for 50 seconds, and repeat 10 times. With each practice, try to add more time in running instead of walking as over time you will be physically improving.

Alternate Days of Practice

By alternating the days of running, you gradually develop and adapt to the physical barriers of running. Runners from all levels tend to jog better by alternating days — a rest day between practice days helps the body efficiently recover.

Get Out of the Routine

This is really important for your motivation and physical evolution. If you run in different places or take different paths, it challenges your mind, and provides your body a chance to adapt to different surfaces. By running once a week (50% more than you usually run), you gain resistance and, of course, get to see new places.

Remember: Everybody is already a beginner, and no one is judging you because of it! Even though not everyone is in interested in the feeling that running offers, it is a method to be healthy and maintain your weight. Get out of your comfort zone, turn off Netflix for 30 minutes (I know, it’s hard), and get your feet running!

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us