5 Things Students with Migraines Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Like so many other students in college nowadays, I suffer from migraines that are more often than not, debilitating. I knew this would be a challenge as I began a new chapter in my life, but I wouldn’t let it get me down. My migraines began about eight years ago when I was about thirteen. Through numerous medication changes, several, several trips to the hospital and by simply talking to people about their experiences, I have found these five tips to be the most vital to maintaining a healthy balance of not getting overwhelmed.

1. Get your migraines documented with your school’s disability office 

This is actually very important. Some teachers may have attendance policies, and getting your migraines documented may give you excused absences. It also helps your teachers understand why you miss class on the same day every week, I PROMISE I DON’T WANT TO IT’S A PATTERN!!!.

2. Always mark your migraines on a calendar.

Doing this can help you identify a pattern. For me personally this semester, my migraines came at the same time every Tuesday for three to four weeks. Then they decided to move to Wednesdays. Migraines can also affected by your menstrual cycle, and tracking both on a calendar can help you see if the two could be correlated.

3. Drink plenty of water 

I am not hesitating to go into mom mode at this point. According to the National Library of Medicine, drinking water when you get a migraine can help prevent dehydration when your migraine hits its peak. Even before you get a migraine, increasing your water intake could help prevent them from coming as often.

4. Get plenty of sleep and enjoy nap time

According to the American Migraine Association, “nearly half of all migraines occur between 4 AM and 9 AM. Often called ‘awakening headaches’ the key features are the timing of this headache and tendency to come on during or shortly following sleep.” Speaking from personal experience, if I wake up tired and it feels like I’m going to fall asleep in the shower, it’s a migraine day. The AMA recommends getting 7­8 hours of sleep a night, but, we’re in college, that’s a bit unrealistic. Try to carve out some time in your day to put your head down and nap even for an hour.

5. Surround yourself with a supportive group of friends

You’re going to have your fair share of bad days, days you’ll need to yell, rant and scream. But your friends wouldn’t have you any other way. They’re the ones who will stay by your side to walk you back to your dorm when you feel like you’re going to pass out and make sure you’re comfortable when you get back to your dorm.

Alexandra is a senior at the University of Tampa as well as the Broadcasting intern for the Tampa Bay Lightning. When she isn't running around the arena setting up equipment, she is the Sports Director for UT's radio station, WUTT. Alexandra is also an active member of the Florida Zeta chapter of Pi Beta Phi, where she serves as the head of the Fraternity Heritage committee. On her off days, you can most likely find her at Starbucks drinking her body weight in Iced White Chocolate Mochas.
Hi, I'm Chanel. I'm a Sophomore at the University of Tampa with a major in Public Health. I laugh at horror movies, don't understand romantic movies, and cry during documentaries. I am vegetarian, but I will make an exception for pepperoni pizza rolls because the plain cheese are just plan disgusting. I dream of owning a cuddly pet chicken and a tiny home. Hm... I also enjoy torturing myself by spending an hour and half in a 105 degree room to practice Bikram Yoga. That is all.