15 Female Rappers that You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you approach someone of this generation and ask them to name a female rapper, I can guarantee that at least 90% of them will say “Nicki Minaj”. Now, Nicki is a great rapper, but she is not the only women spitting bars. In the 90’s, female rappers like Lauryn Hill, Eve, Lil’ Kim, Foxxy Brown, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes were well respected, but in these century not many listen to female rappers. Let’s not forget that in the 90’s, female rappers were not as respected as male rappers nor paid as much, but those females had more recognition than the women in the rap industry today. Here are some women from this generation that murder the tracks:

1. Nicki Minaj

Everyone already knows her and the famous songs like “Starships” and “Anaconda”, but do you know her good raps like “Senile” with Lil Wayne and Tyga or “Freedom”? The older you go, the better the raps get although her last album did have better raps than the previous two because of her maturity.

2. Remy Ma

Everybody knows her as the rapper who provoked Nicki and started beef with her, but do you know she’s been in the rap game for more than 15 years? She became most known when she joined Love & Hip Hop New York. She’s had good songs before then like “Conceited” and “Jump”. She started out in a crew called the Terror Squad by Fat Joe and made her own way in the industry.

3. Little Simz

A relatively new artist, Little Simz released her first mixtape in 2010, but personally, her best music is her new album “Stillness in Wonderland”. She’s British and has performed with people like Estelle, Tinie Tempah and Kehlani. My personal favorite song of hers is “Picture Perfect” and the video is very nice too.

4. Noname

How could people not know about Noname? A lyrical genius? She recently released a mixtape that features artists like Raury, Ravyn Lenae, and Saba. It’s called “Telephone” and it’s straight up fire. She’s also featured in songs with rappers like Childish Gambino and Chance The Rapper.

5. Princess Nokia

A Nuyorican from The Bronx, Princess Nokia’s raps are a bit special and unique… but it’s still bomb. Her hit songs “Katana”, “Brujas”, “Tomboy”, etc. have their own little flavor, but still have very good bars. The Fader discovered her and even did a mini documentary on her and her life (that’s when you know she’s good).

6. Kamaiyah

As rapper from Oakland, Kamaiyah first became really known when she featured in YG’s song “Why You Always Hatin?” alongside Drake. Just starting her career, Kamaiyah has a mixtape released in 2016 and a few singles. My personal favorite song is “Swing My Way”.

7. Kodie Shane

Kodie Shane is just starting her career, and is msot known as a member of Lil’ Yachty’s crew “Lil’ Boat”. She is featured in the song “All In” by Lil Yachty alongside the rest of the Lil’ Boat crew. She recently just released a single with Yachty named “Sad”. She also has a few mixtapes on Sound cloud. She’s gaining more recognition everyday thanks to Yachty and The Fader.

8. Nadia Rose

Another British rapper (cause we can never have enough of those). She released her first mixtape in 2017, so it’s pretty obvious she’s a brand new rapper and it’s completely understandable if you don’t know about her yet. She’s Stormzy’s cousin, a hip hop artist, and has performed alongside Kehlani in London.

9. Tink

Tink, a member of 2015’s XXL Freshman Class, is Timbaland’s new project. She’s had bangers like “Ratchet Commandments” (my personal favorite) and “Million”, a song using Aaliyah’s “One in a Million” as a sample. Of course, the reason for her fame is because of Timbaland, but she also became more known after XXL Freshman Class of 2015 was released.

10. Dej Loaf

Also a member of 2015’s XXL Freshman Class, Dej Loaf has had songs that are certified Gold, but still ask someone who she is and there’s a big chance they won’t know her. She has songs with Future, Lil Wayne, Big Sean, Eminem and more.

11. Dreezy

Dreezy started her career in 2012. She’s done songs with Jeremih, Common, Keke Palmer, Gucci Mane and T-Pain. Her most known songs are “Body”, “We Gon Ride”, and “Wasted”.

12. MIA

Most known for her song “Paper Planes”, MIA is fairly well-known but not as much as she should be. Some of her other good songs are “Bad Girls”, “Borders” and her feature on “Give Me All Your Luvin” By Madonna.

13. Tiara Thomas

A singer/rapper, Tiara Thomas is crazy fire. Her most known song is “One Night” but her best one, in my opinion, is “Fly As Hell”. She’s featured in songs with Wale, Fat Joe, Rick Ross, and French Montana, and just released a few bomb songs through sound cloud.

14. Young MA

Ya’ll already know her. Most known for her amazing song “Ooouuu”, Young MA released a couple of mixtapes in 2015, but is now becoming more famous thanks to this song. She’s working on some new songs, hopefully on fire as her last one.

15. Azealia Banks

A bit problematic, but still spits fire bars. Azealia has a few good songs like “212”, “1991” and “Chasing Time”. Her first album, Broke with Expensive Taste, has really good songs and, although she is constantly stirring up drama, she still has a lot of talent. Even EVE, a female rapper from the 90’s and 2000’s, admits she’s amazing.

Straight from the island of Puerto Rico, Alondra Vidal Díaz flew to Tampa, Florida to study in the University of Tampa. As a college student with a major in political science and minor in finance, Alondra not only likes math and politics, she also loves films, activism, tostones and basketball. And she has a fire soundcloud playlist, you should ask her about it. Twitter and Instagram: @syrerican
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us