ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Ways to Get Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UT Chattanooga chapter.

It’s that time again, the most loathed week of our college existence…. Finals Week.

Even though spring finals indicates the official end of the year and the long-awaited beginning of summer, it is not without a long week of pure mental torture. It is also the time of year where all healthy habits are thrown out the window and campus becomes the sight of a zombie apocalypse.  So, to avoid feeling like crap for a week and to make finals more bearable, here are some things to keep in mind while you’re cramming for exams.

GET SOME SLEEP

The worst possible thing you can do to yourself is pulling all nighters throughout finals week. A recent article by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, states that you need to balance both study and sleep during this time. Not getting enough sleep has been proven to have a negative effect on grades, because when you sleep, it gives your brain time to process new information and to retain it. Not getting enough sleep can also cause more stress and cause you to binge on cheap, quick food which will also make you feel more groggy and tired. So, make sure you’re getting some sleep! If you’re looking for more tips on how to get a better night sleep check out this AASM article for more information: http://www.aasmnet.org/articles.aspx?id=659.

Take brain breaks

As weird as it sounds, it helps to take brain breaks at least every hour while studying. This can mean anything from coloring for 30 minutes, doing a workout, or allowing yourself one episode of your favorite Netflix show. It’s been proven that students are able to retain more information if they take consistent breaks that allow their brain to rest.

Grab a healthy Snack

It’s so easy to just order a pizza or run to Starbucks to get a super sugary drink, but both of these things won’t given you the sufficient energy you need to study and be alert for your exams. Take the time to make a quick smoothie or grab some granola and fruit to snack on while you’re studying. Something as small as keeping a healthier diet can instantly help you focus and get your work done more efficiently.

Don’t put so much pressure on yourself!

I am just as guilty as the next person for putting so much pressure on myself to do well in classes. It’s not a bad thing to hold yourself to a higher standard, but you need to make sure you are taking care of yourself first and foremost. It is never a selfish thing to take time for yourself because everyone needs a break every so often.

With all this being said, building these good habits, not only during finals but throughout the semester, will make such a difference in your academics. You will have the energy and mind-set to absolutely kill it all the time, which means maybe next time finals crunch time won’t be so intense.  Remember that you can do anything you set your mind to.

Happy finals week everyone and good luck!

Emily Thornton

UT Chattanooga

I am a junior at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga majoring in Economics, Psychology, and Literature. I am the founding president of UTC's chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta, an active writer, an avid reader, and an outdoor enthusiasts. I spend my days running from class, to meeting, to class, to work, while squeezing in time for friends, family, and the occasional hour of sleep, while also being a proud cat mother to a kitten named Merlin. I love my hectic life, and am always ready for a new challenge!