This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Whether you heard it in an environmental science class or you have been keeping with up politics, you have probably heard about the ongoing issue of climate change and global warming. The terms describe the increase temperature in the Earth’s atmosphere, which results in unusual weather patterns around the globe.

Many people differ on how they should handle this hot button issue, but most agree that people should do something to decrease their global footprint. Things such as recycling and carpooling or taking public transportation are two of the most popular ways people reduce their global footprint.

A cool movement that has been sweeping the internet by storm over the past few years is a zero waste movement called “Trash is for Tossers.”  The  program that teaches people how to use little to no trash in their everyday life.

Trash is for Tossers is a movement started by Lauren Singer, a then college student studying environmental studies. Singer was inspired to decrease her global footprint by a teacher, who talked to the class about the importance of living your values. It was in that moment that she began to think about her environmental impact.

Singer ultimately decided to create Trash is for Tossers when she learned about the Zero Waste House in California that was trying to create little to no garbage.

The website teaches you a two step process to starting a zero waste lifestyle that, includes questions and helpful suggestions as you begin your journey to zero waste. Singer also incorporates a zero waste alternative, which tells you different products you can swap in everyday life to decrease the amount of waste you create over time.

What is really cool about the Trash is for Tossers movement is the result. People that have followed Singers steps have been able to  fit all of their trash into mason jars. The picture featured above shows you Singer’s trash over a two year span.

If you would like to learn more about the zero waste movement and how you can make the transition, check out trashisfortossers.com and stay tuned to future articles.

http://www.trashisfortossers.com/

http://www.peterbilt.com/imgs/bg-zero-waste.png

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.