What to do After College Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Image from mitchcommongroup.com

Being on the brink of graduation a lot of things go through your mind. You consider how much you have grown from your freshman year to your senior year. You recall all of the lessons you have learned, inside and outside of the classroom and you contemplate what is next. So for all those getting ready to step out into the real world here are a few things you might want to think about.

1. What are your immediate plans after graduation? If you have a job lined up that is great! You may be on your way to grad school, if so congratulations! If you are not and you are not and are not in major need at the present moment, take a step back and think. For those of you still searching for work, first think of what kind of job you want. Do you want a job in the field that you majored in? If you don’t, getting a temporary job or going to grad school gives you time to figure out your next move.

1. Where do you want to work? If you are in the state that you see yourself thriving in that is wonderful, but if you are not opposed to moving, search for jobs within your field in other counties, states, even countries. Being able and willing to move can give you many more job opportunities.

1. What is your long term goal? Getting a temporary job and considering a big move can be beneficial plans, if you see them being a part of your long term goal. Map out a plan for yourself and take steps to make it a reality. Your journey may end up taking you some place you never expected.

1. Stay active! During your planning, working or time in graduate school, get involved. Go out and volunteer, join a community center or revisit an old hobby you couldn’t keep up with because of school. Try starting a new hobby, something you want to try or never really thought you could do. These things will keep you physically and mentally active. Hobbies can create alternative opportunities and spark new passions.

Consult those around you. If you are at a loss of what to do after graduation, talk with someone. You can visit a career center, a counselor, a friend or family member. These people will give you the support you need to help you think through the things you need, want and can’t figure out. This is only the beginning, you have options so go out there and explore them.  

Bryana Perkins is a Mass Communications Major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She is originally from Philadelphia, PA., but has been living in Florida for ten years. Perkins will soon graduate and hopes to use her writing skills to work for a non-profit organization. She enjoys sports, outdoor activities, arts and crafts, and spending time with her family and friends. Her favorite topics to write about are people and community. Perkins hopes her desire to write will impact people's lives in a positive.
Kelly Mora-Romero is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF St. Petersburg. She was born in Colombia but has lived in the US since 2004. As a Global Business and Marketing major with a minor in Mass Communications, Kelly's dream job is to work in international marketing with a big communications company; traveling is a must! Her biggest inspiration for stories come from local or campus-related news, advise for the every-day life and tips on success. If you wish to contact Campus Correspondent Kelly for article ideas or any comments/concerns/issues at USFSP email at: kellyromero@hercampus.com For any other personal inquiries email: kellyjulieth@mail.usf.edu HCXO