photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What College Students Are Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Even though we students at USFSP didn’t get much of a Thanksgiving break, there is still a lot that we can be thankful for as college students. Especially near finals, we all get swept up in our busy lives. We barely have time to sleep, let alone take the time to think about appreciating the small things in our life. But during our short Thanksgiving break, let’s take a moment to be thankful for the little things in life.  

For example, the fact that we all have this chance to continue our education is something to be thankful for in itself. We have all these opportunities to learn so many new things and further our education when a lot of people don’t have that chance. Yes, we have hours of homework and stressful finals, but we’re learning which is one of the most valuable opportunities we could have.

On the other hand, as college students we can also be thankful for the little things in life that make our work a little bit easier. Like cancelled classes, random naps and the rare days when the professor assigns no homework. We can be thankful for free food and being able to take leftovers home to survive for the next week or two. We can be thankful for this cooler weather so that we don’t sweat when we are walking to and from class. We can be thankful for study groups, help on homework and when someone else says that they haven’t started the assignment either.

We can be thankful for Netflix adding new seasons of our favorite show so that we can binge watch them while avoiding our mountain of homework.  We can be grateful for professors that don’t use a plus/minus system of grading, and let’s not forget about the professors who round up or offer extra credit. We can be thankful for the professors who don’t take attendance, and also the professors who post all their slides on canvas.

This Thanksgiving, let’s try not to get caught up in all the homework that we have to do over this break. Instead, let’s just appreciate these small things that help us survive each semester.

HC xoxo,

Alyssa Harmon

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.