USFSP makes plans for a better future.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

“I feel as if I am a separate item from campus,” says one commuter student at USFSP. University of South Florida St.Petersburg has been, what seems like a hotel, rather than a home for most students. They fill their brains with the knowledge they need when they arrive, then they leave right afterwards. The college isn’t a place of pride or excitement. The university lacks the identity every college should have.

Students beg for a sense of community and a place they can call home for a short while. They fight for sororities and fraternities, something that will bring more school spirit. 

Bringing a bull statue and a oversized fish tank to the school just won’t do it. The school needs something more, something that will bring the crowd. The school needs more excitement for students to stay because the truth is USFSP is usually the back up plan. Students stay until they can transfer else where. 

Well time has come when Student Government is finally beginning to see the problem for them self. They recently had a 20 20 vision meeting for students to gather to discuss future plans and ideas. Student Government is making an effort to hear the voice of students. They want a change, and they want it now. The school has a strategic plan committee on board where students discuss the plans of action. 

Mark Lombardi says the whole plan is being completely rewritten. He says as of right now they are going on learning journeys to observe other great facilities to see what can be changed. There is also talk of a five year plan for sororities and fraternities where a seperate resident hall might be built for just that. Changes said to be made involve the schools identity, degree programs, and its size. The plan is said to be completed before the semesters end, but I’m sure USFSP will constantly be a place of change for students.”

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.