This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

For a while now, I have heard about the gluten-free trend that these famous celebrities like the Kardashians have been trying. For a couple of years, I brushed this off. I thought this was just another one of those silly trends that were pointless. That was until about three months ago when I was out to dinner with my parents and some of their friends, and one of their friends was telling me how she was on a gluten-free diet and she loved the results. I figured I would do some research on gluten and see what the big deal about it was. Here’s what I found out.

According to the Celiac Disease Foundation’s (https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/what-is-gluten/) website, gluten is the protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye). Basically put, gluten is like a glue that helps food keep its shape. I thought gluten was just in bread, but boy was I wrong. Here are some of the things that gluten is in: cereals, sauces, food colouring, beer, pasta, baked goods, and so much more.

So I decided to test out the gluten-free diet for a week over summer, and the results for me were insane! For a week, I stayed away from gluten and if I wanted to have cereal, pasta, etc., I would make sure it was gluten-free. After a week, my belly wasn’t as bloated as it usually is and I actually felt better. It’s hard to explain, but I felt more light and not so heavy;I felt more balanced and in tune with my body. Trying a gluten-free diet really opened my eyes to taking better care of my body by being careful with what I ate.

Now, if you know me at all, you know I love me some carbs. I knew I wouldn’t be able to cut gluten out of my life 100%. But I try to stick with a 75% gluten-free and 25% gluten diet. Here are some of the things I eat that don’t have gluten in them:

• Breakfast: Honey Nut Cheerios or Van’s chocolate chip waffles (they are DELICIOUS!)

• Lunch/Dinner: Amy’s Kitchen Frozen Meal (only some of these are gluten-free so lookout for that GF label!)

• Snacks: Glutino’s Chocolate Vanilla Creme cookies (basically Oreos but GF), Kind Bars (y’all these are so healthy and good for you; they have a lot of protein in them)

You should always consult with your doctor before you try any diets, but I definitely recommend everyone trying this diet out. With this diet, I was happy to find my happy balance by eating the foods I love while still being  healthy.

“Your body is a temple, but only if you treat it as one.”  -Astrid Alauda

HCXOXO,

Kelli Carmack

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.