Ten reasons to love Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

About a week from today is Saturday, February 14. A.K.A. Valentine’s Day: The day of love.

Roses are red, violets are blue, just kidding. I don’t think Valentine’s Day has the best reputation. There are many haters of this day as there are misconceptions. Some people, including myself, don’t need any more reasons to love Valentine’s Day. For those of you who are anti-Valentine’s Day: There’s nothing to fear that Valentine’s Day is here.

Ten reasons to love Valentine’s Day:

1. Themed décor, tasty treats and sensual colors. Tis the season of reds and pinks, everything imaginable heart shaped, roses (for all my fellow Bachelor followers) and chocolates galore.
  2. Flashback of the good ol’ days. Every single one of you remembers one of the greatest days of the elementary school year being the class Valentine’s Day party; yes, field day is a close second. Why hate on a day that brought you so much joy as a child? The entire day planned out around the valentine theme.  The cheap sweet heart’s candies. The themed valentines that were so exciting to pick out and one of the hardest decisions, but Lisa Frank was always a good choice. Oh, and you can’t forget about the homemade valentine box (i.e. the decorated shoe box) that took so much time, effort and glitter. Reminisce.  
  3. You’re not excluded. Whether you are in a relationship, single or it’s complicated, Valentine’s Day is still for you. Who cares what your status is.  It’s really just a day of love in general, and who doesn’t love love? Love can be associated with so many other people and things, including a boyfriend or girlfriend but not solely.
  4. Love thy neighbor. If there is someone who you usually can’t stand or really dislike for whatever reason, throw them off by being really nice to them. It is pretty entertaining to see their reaction. It’s worth trying, at least on this day. Kill them with kindness and entertain yourself; it’s a win-win.
  5. Gifts. It’s literally a holiday, so gifts are usually involved in showing your love. Yes, it’s not all about gifts, but hey, that’s a major bonus.
  6. Why not. People who aren’t Irish like to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Look at it as just another reason to celebrate. Indulge, celebrate and love.
  7. Chick flicks.  It’s an excuse to watch sappy movies. So many will be on TV and Netflix. Break out the chick flicks. Valentine’s Day, The Notebook  50 Shades of Grey, or whatever, pick your poison.
  8.  Spoil yourself. It is a holiday, a day of love, a calendar event. That sounds like a reason to have a mini shopping spree, get your nails done or buy Starbucks twice in one day.
  9.  Sales. You had me at sale. There are so many sales going on for Valentine’s Day. Many favorites such as Victoria’s Secret, Target and Bath & Body Works are having a sale related to this day. Be on the look out for restaurants having dinner for two specials and spa’s that are offering massage exclusives. Then just wait until February 15; the candy sales will be even sweeter. 
  10.  A calendar reminder. Valentine’s Day is officially marked on the calendar and can simply serve as a reminder of love. Our lives are busy- between school, homework, work, sleep and acting like a grown up, we can forget about what is important. This is not an excuse nor am I saying you should only remind others you love them on this day, however, it is a whole day dedicated to that. So call a family member, write your significant other a love note, or Facetime your best friend and simply remind them that you love them.

Stop hating and start loving.

HCXOXO

Photo Courtesy of puppy cuteness: Tumblr.com

Cover Photo: KrispyKreme.com

Madison Fowler is the Vice-President of Her Campus: University of South Florida St. Petersburg Chapter. She is currently a sophomore majoring in Mass Communications at the University of South Florida, in St. Petersburg. Born in Toledo, Ohio and lived in Dallas, Texas, Madison currently resides in St. Petersburg, of the sunshine state. She hopes to study abroad during her college career. When Madison is not writing for Her Campus, she enjoys beach days, practicing yoga and volunteering at local animal shelters.Contact Madison:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006219798142mfowler@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.