St. Pete Art & Fashion Week Night One Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

On Monday, we got the opportunity to attend the opening night of St. Pete Art and Fashion Week. The Opening Night Soiree was held at The Raw Studies which is located in the Warehouse Arts District of St. Petersburg. This night was an opportunity for guests to mingle with everyone from models, designers, and makeup artists all while enjoying a cocktail or two. The outdoor patio space allowed for attendees to enjoy the cool outside air and watch as other guests arrived and walked the green carpet. The indoor event space was transformed into a unique environment filled with live music and vibrant light displays that added to the ambiance, yet did not take away from the various art selections displayed around the room.

At the beginning of the night, models lined up on the green carpet to take pictures in front of a floral backdrop, while garbed in welded corsets, which prompted us to ask self confidence questions. While some models chose to wear nothing but pasties underneath, others preferred more coverage and opted for a tank top or dress. Among the females, there was also a male model whose upper body was adorned with flowers drawn in black light paint. Throughout the night, models discussed the upcoming events set to take place during the week leading up to the fashion show on Saturday. Also in attendance was Meagan Guerra, who currently holds the title of Miss St. Petersburg, who will also be walking in the fashion show.

We also sat down with Matthew Cooley, the creative director of hair and makeup, who, with his team, created a dramatic look that the models showcased. Not only did Cooley create the looks for opening night, he will also be doing the same at other events throughout the week including Saturday’s show. The fashion show will also showcase designs from Raul Castillo, an evening and bridal wear designer, who recently moved to the St. Petersburg area about a year ago. Other designers will also be featured on Saturday night when the models hit the runway.

The night came to a close with a live musical performance from one of the models. Guests finished their drinks and left with high expectations for the rest of the weeks events. Thank you to Dona Crowley for putting together a memorable night and allowing Her Campus to be in attendance.

Hi! My name is Imani and I am a 21 year old Mass Communications major living in sunny Florida. I love traveling, listening to music and you, know, occasionally writing.
Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.