The Rocky Horror Picture Show Tribute Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Tribute returns to Halloween Horror Nights 23 at Universal Studios Orlando. The performance celebrates the classic cult film, dancing and singing to some of the popular songs from the soundtrack. The men and women are dressed in corsets while dancing in high-heels similar to the costumes in the film.

It’s a show that takes fans down memory lane, remembering the fabulous Tim Curry as Dr. Frank N. Furter and newly engaged couple Brad Majors and Janet Weiss. It features other memorable characters such as the servants Riff Raff and Magenta, and Columbia, the groupie.

The cast for this year’s tribute showcase their hard-work and entertain the audience. They successfully portray the characters, ranging from innocence to flirtatious and naughty. It keeps the humor that the film has and presents it on stage. One of the most anticipated characters to appear has to be Dr. Frank N. Furter. The audience knew when it was his turn to enter the stage and they began cheering before he stepped out the door. His presence took over the stage and the moment he took off his satin cape to reveal his black sequined corset, fishnet stockings and high-heels the cheers became louder. The audience started singing along to “Sweet Transvestite” as well.

Audience participation is optional but if you’re familiar with the film then you can join along. The ground level is where the audience can wave their cellphone lights to the song “There’s a Light (Over at the Frankenstein Place)” and dance with the cast to “The Time Warp.” In the past when the film had midnight screenings, the audience would dress up and re-enact the scenes. It’s almost like a tradition but for this particular show it allows singing and dancing.

The show provides clips of the film on television screens above the stage. It helps out the audience who might have forgotten how the film went or haven’t seen it. However, it might confuse those who never watched it since the show doesn’t provide the entire film. For those who haven’t seen the film I recommend at least watching it before attending the performance. It’s optional though because it’s an entertaining show all around. You might feel a bit lost but it’ll still make you laugh.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Tribute allows people a break from the gory haunted houses and zombies walking around the park. There are no screams of terror, just laughter and entertainment especially when you see men dancing in corsets and high-heels. It pays tribute to the film and the cast does an amazing job. In my experience, after watching the show, I wanted to watch the film again because I really missed the way Tim Curry played Dr. Frank N. Furter.

The show will continue to play during the nights of Halloween Horror Nights 23.

My name is Tatiana Cubas and I am a mass communications major. I hope to travel the world, writing about different cultures and music. A goal of mine is to interview artists for their foreign fans to read. I enjoy listening to music in many different languages such as Spanish, Korean and Japanese, and I have an interest in subcultures.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.