My Experience with Switching Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Many college students go through a similar transition period in college. They enter with one general area of study in mind, and then sometime later on in that process, choose to switch to another major. In that regard, I am no different.

When I started taking classes my freshmen year, I was geared toward getting a degree in English since I loved writing and reading (I still do), but I hadn’t really had much more of a direction to go in besides that. But the classes I was taking at  that time were more geared towards a Mass Communications major, so my advisor “advised” me to switch into a Mass Communications major and instead focus on Journalism. I  have to admit, I wasn’t thrilled with this idea, but I took some of the classes anyway. At this time, I figured out that I was strongly disinterested in the subject matters that they had us write about. Writing became a chore, and that’s not something that I ever wanted to happen.

Spring semester of freshmen year came along and I stuck to journalism. Summer semester- another journalism class. Finally, the most recent fall semester was upon us- I was maybe a month into my courses, and I had an epiphany; I realized what I wanted to major in.

I’ve always had a passion for music and attending concerts, but I’m not a performer. I decided to switch my degree from Mass Communications to Business with a focus in management to be able to get the proper degree I need to manage a recording studio, manage talent acts, and hopefully one day in the distant future, open up my own small venue to have smaller, new musicians play and be discovered.

We are currently only three weeks into the semester, but the world of business at USFSP is opening my eyes to a lot of new knowledge and connections.I figured out that I don’t have to have a degree in writing to write; I can continue to write on my own time the way I want to, and spend classes learning more efficient skills in the business world while building connections through the people as well.

I also have to say that I picked the prime time to switch majors because the brand new Kate Tiedemann College of Business building is beautiful (I spend an ample amount of time there). The atmosphere and the people buzzing in and out just have this wonderful positivity surrounding them, and I am so glad to be a part of that world.

Moral of story: don’t be afraid to change your major a few times during college. I guarantee you more people do then don’t, and the students that do change are glad that they did because they end up with a major that they love.

HC XOXO Hayley Garron

Hayley Nicole Garron is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, currently majoring in Journalism. She has passions of reading, writing, playing soccer, shopping, and doing things for others, and she aspires to to gain her fame by creating a novel so amazing you won't want to put it down. In her spare time, she can be found watching YouTube videos, writing her blog, "This is why I'm Haute," or trying new DIY's found on pinterest. USFSP has been a great influence to help her find more of herself in growing up.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.