Mighty Memoirs by Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

There are so many written by strong women that I think everyone should take the time to read. All of these books have made me laugh, taught me something new and motivated me. I know they’ll do the same for other women as well!

Courtesy: Harpercollins.com

Bad Feminist Roxane Gay

Bad Feminist should be read by every young woman. Roxane Gay made me feel empowered to be a woman, while explaining multiple really big issues. She covers gender and sexuality, race and entertainment and politics. The essays are interesting, informative and helps you see everything in a new light. 

Courtesy:Amazon

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Why Not Me?

Mindy Kaling

Both of these memoirs by Mindy Kaling are worth reading. Kaling released these two only three years apart and I’m hoping she releases a third as well. These collections of short stories from her life are terribly funny and very entertaining. She writes as if she is telling stories to a close friend, and after reading them you will feel like one. 

Courtesy: Amazon

Yes Please Amy Poehler 

Amy Poehler might be most famous for playing Parks and Recreation’s leading lady, Leslie Knope, but her writing should be up with the rest of her big career accomplishments. This memoir made me love Poehler even more, which I didn’t know was possible. This book is another funny one but it is also inspiring. Poehler gives a lot of advice, many times explaining how she learned it in her own life.

Courtesy: Amazon

Bloom Kelle Hampton

Kelle Hampton was a blogger for a few years before she had her second child, Nella, who was born with Down Syndrome. This memoir is more serious but also completely worth the time. Hampton writes about Nella’s first year with honesty and love. This memoir really teaches you how to find the good in every situation, I highly recommend it. 

Evy Guerra is a Journalism major at USFSP. After graduating she would like to write for the news to help tell stories that need to be heard. She loves reading memoirs, watching Parks and Recreation, and listening to Beyoncé with her sisters.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.