The meaning behind the Ice Bucket Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

The social media circuit has been struck with streaming videos of people dumping buckets of ice water over their head. This new sensation has been called the “Ice Bucket Challenge” This challenge is geared towards raising awareness of the unfamiliar disease ALS. Though many chose to accept the challenge of drenching themselves in icy water, few actually know the meaning behind it…

What is ALS?

ALS which stands for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is often termed the “Lou Gehrig’s Disease”, and it is a disease with no cure. This disease will affect the nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. With this disease the motor neurons, which are located in the brain, will eventually die. These motor neurons are what control the movement of the muscles in the body.

The loss of motor neurons leads to muscle weakness, which is one of the first symptoms of ALS. Other symptoms include: twitching, impairment of use of arms and legs, difficulty in projecting speech, shortness of breath, and difficulty in breathing and swallowing. All of this eventually leads to death because the body is no longer able to function. Life expectancy is anywhere from 2 to 5 years.

The spreading of the disease with words can only do so much, which is why I have posted a video link down below. This video features a 26-year-old man, Anthony Carbajal, who was recently been diagnosed with the disease as it runs in his family.  He shares his heart wrenching story, and displays the fear that comes with it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7UUYt_vRI

Ways you can help?

Like the thousands of other people joining together to raise awareness, you too, can be a part of the “Ice Bucket challenge”. You can chose to make a difference by spreading the awareness with a video, or donating to the cause to find a cure. Either way, you can make help be a voice for those affected by this disease. I challenge everyone who reads this to the “Ice Bucket Challenge”. Remember, if you chose to participate in the challenge you must also donate 10$.… http://www.alsa.org/donate/

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.