Makeup Expiration Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

We have all seen one makeup collection video from our favorite beauty guru youtube channel. Yeah it’s great to have tons of makeup, but old makeup can be bad for your.

Makeup has an expiration date! Even if you already have a makeup collection, here are some tips that will help you the next time you clean out your collection.

Liquid foundation and concealer are said to last  anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. There are a few signs you should look for to determine if it is time to throw out your foundation and concealer. When you start to see layers or notice a slight color change it time to give your foundation the boot.

Powder products last a little longer than liquids. Products like eyeshadow, blush, and pressed powders all last for 2 years at the max. While cleaning out your collection for the new year check to see if you notice any dry or flaky products which will help you determine what products are still good.

We all hate clumps in our mascara, that is when it time to buy a new mascara. If your mascara doesn’t really show signs of clumps it best to change your mascara after you have used it for 2-3 months.

It’s best to get rid of eyeliner after a full year of use.

When you start to notice that your lip products are looking and feeling dry or sticky it is time to toss it. Lip gloss has a lifespan of 1 year while lipstick has a life of 2 years.

Expiration Indicators of Various Beauty Products

• Nail Polish: 1-2 year lifespan; starts to separate in layers

• Perfume: 8-10 year lifespan; smell and color begin to change

• Lotion: 2 year lifespan; no longer has a scent and color is distorted

• Sponge: 6 months; it is also advised to wash sponges after each use to prevent bacteria from building

Stay Fab.

XOXO

Tamiracle

Sources: http://www.seventeen.com/beauty/tips/makeup-expiration-date-guidelines#slide-8

http://www.elle.com/news/beauty-makeup/makeup-expiration-date-shelf-life-bobbi-brown-guide

www.weheartit.com

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.