This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Meet Kasi Nelson, a sophomore Graphic Design major at USFSP. She’s currently the Director of Design for Harborside Activities Board, and will continue on in her position for the upcoming school year.

In high school, Nelson thought she was going to graduate with a Bachelor’s in marine biology. However, after taking an actual marine biology class, she decided it wasn’t the career for her.

Nelson chose graphic design because  of a poster at her high school that showcased all the different ways you can have a career as an artist. Nelson took a chance and applied for the graphic design program at USFSP.

Nelson contributes to HAB by also creating a myriad of posters that are distributed throughout the campus. She utilizes the artistic skills she learns  in her classes, looks to Pinterest for inspiration, and then her creativity starts to flow. Nelson also turns to her current art inspiration, Gabriel Picolo. “Once that burst of inspiration hits me, it’s time to put it all together,” Nelson said.

Examples of Nelson’s work for HAB.

Her dream job is to work on motion graphics for Marvel. Despite this being a competitive field to come into as a young woman, Nelson is dedicated to working hard and being herself. “I’ll put my best foot forward and if they don’t take for that, I’ll still strut myself,” says Nelson.

Right now,  Nelson is proud of the progress she’s made as a young woman and an artist. “I’m not afraid to do what I want to do and I’m not afraid of what people think,” Nelson said. “No matter what I do, someone isn’t going to like it, so I might as well live my life.”

Nelson’s self-assurance is one of her favorite qualities about herself. Her confidence is expressed through her artwork, and this allows her to showcase the confidence young women need in today’s society. “I wanted to bridge that gap between being a working woman and having that confidence in myself. I merge those together to be a #girlboss,” Nelson said.

HCXOXO,

Kelli Carmack

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.