It’s On Us, USFSP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Image courtesy of Student Government

“Remember: It’s on you, it’s on me, it’s on us, it’s on USFSP,” said David Thompson, via USFSP Student Government’s Facebook page.

The National Sexual Violence Resource Center reports that one in five women and one in sixteen men will be sexually assaulted while in college. Ninety percent of on-campus sexual assaults go unreported.

The White House and the Obama administration launched the “It’s On Us” initiative in 2014 to raise awareness and put an end to college sexual assaults. USFSP has teamed up with It’s On Us for a second year to inspire men and women across the country to make a commitment to take action in the case of sexual assault and be part of the solution.

“The It’s On Us campaign is one of most important initiatives Student Government leads out in each year. . . It’s On Us is so important because it’s extremely real – one in five women and one in sixteen men will be sexually assaulted  in college and that is unacceptable. With this campaign we hope to change the conversation from one of defeat to one of empowerment and personal responsibility; that not only CAN we do something about sexual assault on college campuses but that we SHOULD,” said David Thompson, USFSP’s Student Government Secretary of Communication.

The It’s On Us pledge motivates us:

To RECOGNIZE that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.

To IDENTIFY situations in which sexual assault may occur.

To INTERVENE in situations where consent has not or cannot be given.

To CREATE an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.

HC XOXO

References:

http://itsonus.org/

http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/09/19/president-obama-launches-its-us-campaign-end-sexual-assault-campus

My name is Chloe Thirion. I am a twenty-one year old Accounting major with a Management minor in the Honors College at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.  I currently work on campus as an RA in Residence Hall One and at a daycare for kids under three years old.    I like the simple things in life. I love shopping for office supplies. A neatly organized to-do list can make me  positively giddy. I carry a small legal pad and a pen with me so I can take notes as I need. My favorite pizza is  margherita. I love coffee, tea, and hot chocolate and I believe there is a time and place for each. I like to  daydream. My favorite thing to do is read.  I have little, little siblings-- my brother Rhett is thirteen and my sister Lilly is six. I like to be the boss; that might be obvious from the birth order situation. I might even go so far as to say I'm a control freak.    I hope to go on to get my Master's of Accountancy after my bachelor's. I like school; I tell people it's the only thing I know how to do, but I'm (half) joking when I say that.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.