Highlights from this year’s American Music Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

This past Sunday was the 45th American Music Awards and y’all know your girl was watching (I live for award shows). Here are my favorite moments from the night:

1. The host: Tracee Eliss Ross was outstanding. She was funny, witty, and killed it with her numerous outfit changes. I also loved how she showed her feminist side by applauding all the powerful female vocals that were to come later on in the show. “This year in music has been a reflection of this year in our country. A year where brave women have started a movement as we own our experiences, our bodies, and our lives,” said Ross.

1. Demi Lovato’s performance: Demi absolutely slayed that stage. Her unapologetic performance was so inspiring! She started the performance by sitting in the crowd, looking at the screen where tons of mean tweets about her were being displayed. She then got up and proved all those haters wrong. She showed girls that they should never have to apologize for who they are.

1. Nick being sexy AF: Need I say more? Ladies, all I can say is please watch his performance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYFvaNHJug ). Like, please.

1. Shawn Mendes KILLING his performance: Shawn’s performance was absolutely electrifying! He had the whole place on fire, and his performance definitely showed why he deserved winning Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist later on in the evening.

1. Niall Horan winning the New Artist of the Year: I felt like such a proud mama when I saw that Niall won New Artist of the Year! He has honestly come such a long way from his One Direction years, and he has definitely proved the haters wrong who said he was the least talented one in 1D and said he “couldn’t sing at all.”

1. Kat Graham and Kelly Rowland AMA Looks: Okay, these ladies SLAYED that stage when they presented Niall’s performance! I need to know who their stylists are ASAP!

1. BTS Performance: Honestly, this was one of my favorite moments of the entire night. I’ve heard of BTS before but getting to see them perform live made me see them in a whole new light. They lit up that entire room with fire dance moves, and there’s no question that the audience was going wild. I was so impressed with them; I can honestly see them becoming a global sensation like One Direction.

1. Diana Ross Receiving Lifetime Achievement Award: Diana receiving this award was a no-brainer. Diana has been a pioneer for women, fashion, and music for the past 40 years. She’s such an icon and her performance that night showed exactly that.

Well there you have it, those were my top highlights from this year’s AMAs. Can’t wait to watch next years!

HCXOXO,

Kelli Carmack

**all photos courtesy of Google Images

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.