Frida Kahlo collection finds temporary home in Saint Petersburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Saint Petersburg is a beautiful city full of art and culture, enriching the community with its wide variety of attractions such as street art  and  museums. One of the major attractions located by the bay is the Dali Museum. On December 17, 2016, a new exhibit, highlighting the art of Mexican female artist, Frida Kahlo, was brought to the Salvador Dali Museum.

The exhibit will be showcased at the museum until April 17, 2017. With a valid student ID, USFSP students can get in for free to enjoy the beautiful collection titled “The Great Collection of Frida” which is a collaboration between the Dali Museum  and the Museo Dolores Olmedo located in Mexico City.

Love and self-empowerment can be the root of an artist’s inspiration to create.  Frida Kahlo is seen as a feminist because she painted many self-portraits that can be used as  examples of self-empowerment. Kahlo channeled the suffering she experienced in her marriage, health, and life into her art. The collection is both an indoor and outdoor exhibit that has over 60 pieces of art on display. Inside the museum you will find 15 paintings, 7 drawings, and many personal photographs created by Kahlo. Outside of the museum, located in the gardens, you will be able to walk through and explore many of the same plants Frida Kahlo kept in her home.

Before the collection leaves the city by the bay, take the time to engulf yourself in the art of a legendary female icon, Frida Kahlo.

HCXOXO,

Vanessa Rivera

Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.