Freshman is making the most out of her time at USFSP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Meet Megan Hammer; a girl far from ordinary. Originally from Vermilion County, Illinois, Hammer decided to study at USFSP because of the vibrant community and the loads of fun activities. “It seemed like a place I could work and thrive in, both academically and musically. Artistically as well.” Hammer said.

Photo courtesy of Megan Hammer

Hammer’s a freshman majoring in Global Business and thinking of possibly minoring in a foreign language. While only a freshman, Hammer has already gotten involved in the USFSP community. Hammer is the Director of Graphic Design for the USFSP Marketing Club, the Programming Coordinator for the Women Empowerment Club, and most recently, a writer for the USFSP Her Campus club (good choice, Megan!).

Megan has achieved a lot through these club positions. “Since joining (the Marketing Club)…I’ve enjoyed things like promoting events for Kobie Marketing and brainstorming ideas with a group of some of the most innovative people you’ll ever meet.”, Hammer said. On the Women Empowerment club, Hammer says she knew she had to be a part of this club. “I’m taking part in discussions and events that make a difference.

While Hammer is super involved on campus, that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have time to enjoy the St. Pete community as well. “Oh man, I live and breathe it in. Music, art, and writing are three big aspects of my life, so I look out for any kind of event connected to one of those three (or all three).” Hammer said. She also enjoys going to St. Pete beach and going to open mic nights since she loves to play piano and sing. She also gives back to her community; a few months ago, she helped out at a beach clean-up and she says it was an eye-opener for her. “So much trash…it really made me appreciate our environment.”

As far as Hammer’s goals, Hammer is thinking about working in the oil trade industry after graduating. “I think it would be interesting to get involved in sustainability. It’s so important for a business to understand and monitor their suppliers so that things are being produced in an ethical way that promotes a healthy environment,” she said. As far as Hammer’s dreams, Hammer said, “I would like to get involved in something like UNICEF or Peace One Day.” Peace One Day is a non-profit organization that is working to establishing a day of ceasefire one day a year, September 21st.

“To have this one day a year of nonviolence- it means something,” said Hammer.

Hammer also says she would love to meet Ellen DeGeneres, have lunch with Eddie Redmayne, go to the studio with Adele, and/or make a mixtape with Chance the Rapper.

When I asked her to describe herself, Hammer said, “I’m kind of like this odd introverted extrovert. If you haven’t met me yet, well, you’ll see what I mean.”

HCXOXO,

Kelli Carmack

Hi, I'm Kelli Carmack! I am a senior Mass Communications Major at USFSP with a minor in Art History. I'm currently the Co-President of Her Campus at USFSP, a leadership role I hold dear to my heart. I have some pretty big dreams for myself. I plan on getting into the broadcast journalism and/or entertainment field. I hope to one day be the next Barbara Walters, sitting down with prominent people and asking them those hard-hitting questions. While I'm not busy focusing on my career goals, I enjoy going to the beach, painting and reading!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.