Freshman makes the move back to Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

In order to get back to her dorm for spring semester, freshman Ban Hamadeh traveled for 24 hours with layovers in both Paris and Atlanta airports. Hamadeh’s home is in Jordan, a full 6,734 miles from campus. She grew up in Florida but moved to Jordan when she was 12 to be closer to her family, then for college moved back to work towards her degree in Education.

“I love Florida, I used to live here so I decided to come back. I love the fact that it is a small campus which is exactly what I was looking for. I am really into marine life so the fact that it is right on the water is awesome,” Hamadeh said.

She described the move back as a huge jump but also that it has been okay. Hamadeh says the homesickness can be hard. She has two younger brothers and cousins that she is very close with back home. Catching up can be difficult due to the seven hour time difference.

“Basically, when  it is night here it is morning there,” she said. “It is hard to do, there is usually a small window and you hope in that window that they’re not busy. If I can get it like once a week that’s good.”

Even with the trials of homesickness, Hamadeh is happy here.

“I guess  I like being on my own for the first time, kind of that freedom. I like just being here in Florida, being back home because I grew up here so my childhood home is here. I also love the flexibility of classes, you can choose your own schedule,” Hamadeh said.

Although both homes have their positives, she says that Jordan contrasts St. Petersburg.

“Just everything is so different: traditions, culture, language, the behavior of the people. Nothing bad, it is just completely different.”

Hamadeh will continue to go back to Jordan during the summer and winter breaks. She is working towards becoming a kindergarten teacher because she loves kids.

Evy Guerra is a Journalism major at USFSP. After graduating she would like to write for the news to help tell stories that need to be heard. She loves reading memoirs, watching Parks and Recreation, and listening to Beyoncé with her sisters.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.