Freshman inspired from Fight Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It was late at night during his senior year of high school that freshman Kayleb Gowns was watching Fight Club with Brad Pitt when he thought to himself, if he can do it so can I. At the time Gowins was unemployed and needed to make some money, that is when Zeep, Gowin’s soap business all began.

“I did some research and found out soap making is really dangerous and hard with all of these chemicals in it.” Gowins said. “I kept researching and found a way to make organic soap without any of those chemicals. I invested the money I had for the supplies and made a couple of batches that came out pretty good and finally started selling my soap.”

The company’s name, Zeep, which comes from the dutch word for soap is all a part of Gowins’ goal-making soap simple again.

“My idea behind organic soap is that I want to get rid of the gimmicks of organic soap being all fancy and overpriced. I’m tired of hearing how organic soap has french pressed chocolate and puppy tears in it to make it smell better.”

Gowins wants the labels, colors of the soaps and even the names to fit this simple theme. That is why all of the bars are $3 unless it is a custom bar. He makes about 7 or 8 different kinds of soaps currently and cannot choose a favorite himself, saying that would be like choosing a favorite child. He says each bar is unique even though they use the same basic ingredients.

When he isn’t working with Zeep, Gowins is working towards his degree in global business. 

“My main passion outside of soap making is definitely soccer and for the passed few years I have really wanted to become a coach or a manager overseas,” he said. “It is a lot of work but it goes by a lot faster with a college degree.”

His dad watches sports from all around the world and it was the summer of the 2006 World Cup that he really discovered his love for the sport.

Gowins came to USFSP to because he liked the campus and to be closer to his grandmother who lives in the area. He wanted to make this area his own rather than go to his parents’ alma mater of University of Florida.

Art is another one of his passions, the Dalí is one of hid favorite places due to it having his favorite piece of art. Gowins keeps that specific piece of art a secret as a personal choice. He loves walking everywhere and says he can often be found out by the benches around the museum just enjoying himself.

Evy Guerra is a Journalism major at USFSP. After graduating she would like to write for the news to help tell stories that need to be heard. She loves reading memoirs, watching Parks and Recreation, and listening to Beyoncé with her sisters.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.