Food For Thought: Rescue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s safe to say that most people have a pet. {I don’t like to call them pets as they are a being, a life, a soul. It’s not about ownership it’s about companionship.}

I wanted to write this post because rescue is commonly overlooked. Some people want to purchase a newly born puppy, some people prefer a purebred, and others simply do not know the importance of the life-changing act of rescuing. I hate to break it you (actually, I love it) but there are both puppies, kittens and purebred animals in shelters, humane societies, animal services, and rescue groups. Yes, all of the above. Whether it’s a dog, cat, rabbit or any other animal you can think of, you can save a life by rescuing.

It’s easy to plug our ears and close our eyes to the things that happen daily in animal shelters. We’ve all changed that commercial the moment we hear Sarah McLachlan and see those sad faces. But ignorance is not bliss, ignorance is ignorance and it is taking innocent lives.

According to ASPCA, approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of these, approximately 2.7 million animals (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats) face their “last walk.”  

It is important to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. It’s not fair for healthy innocent lives to be taken because of humans failing them. To you you may just be rescuing a “pet,” but to them they are given a second chance.

Adopt. If you cant adopt, foster. If you cant foster, sponsor. If you can’t sponsor, volunteer. If you volunteer, donate. If you cant donate, educate (The 13 Project).

It is important to face some of the harsh realities of our world. And as Gandhi once said, “be the change you wish to see in the world.” Just remember, you matter. Food for thought.

Madison Fowler is the Vice-President of Her Campus: University of South Florida St. Petersburg Chapter. She is currently a sophomore majoring in Mass Communications at the University of South Florida, in St. Petersburg. Born in Toledo, Ohio and lived in Dallas, Texas, Madison currently resides in St. Petersburg, of the sunshine state. She hopes to study abroad during her college career. When Madison is not writing for Her Campus, she enjoys beach days, practicing yoga and volunteering at local animal shelters.Contact Madison:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006219798142mfowler@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.