This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

If you haven’t heard about one of USFSP’s kindest hearts, look no further than Savannah Billet, a freshman here at USFSP making strides toward effective cancer awareness since the seventh grade.

Savannah started “Fishing for a Cure” with fellow USFSP freshmen, Hunter Schoch, and Garret Greca. Together, with the boys’ love of fishing and Savannah’s humanitarian efforts, the three started planning the event in February. The event benefits the organization Beat Nb or Beat Neuroblastoma.

Savannah, Hunter, and Garret at the Mike Anderson radio show promoting the event 

Photo courtesy of Savannah Billett

Neuroblastoma (Nb) is one of the most common cancers in infants and small children. One of many childhood cancers, most children are diagnosed by the age of two and sixty percent of these children make it to remission. The majority relapse, there is no cure for relapsed Nb.

But this is not Savannah’s first rodeo. Savannah has been involved in the cause for brain cancer and neuroblastoma for a while.  In seventh grade, when she was assigned a project in anything to do with science, a friend recommended that Savannah she do the project on her neighbor Ezra, a two-year-old diagnosed neuroblastoma. That she did, to benefit his family and the cause. Savannah made bracelets to sell around school and did a benefit at local restaurants in the Land O’Lakes area.

Savannah has connections with the cause- a 10-year-old Bella and 4-year-old Sophia battling neuroblastoma. Savannah refers to Bella as her little sister, as she’s known her since Bella was two years old. Like many, Bella has relapsed but keeps an amazing attitude and view on life.

Where: Hula Bay Club

When: May 6th 7 am lines can be in the water

May 5th at 4 pm at the Tavern (Captain’s meeting)

Each boat register is $150 for two fishermen and or $75 for each additional fisherman

There is also at raffle and silent auction at 3 pm at Hula Bay

Savannah says the raffle and silent auction are a fisherman’s dream with rods and reels. The silent auction also has a huge prize, a two-night stay at the Westin in New York’s Times Square.

Prizes are as follows: 

1st Place: Yeti Cooler

2nd Place: Poseidon fishing rod (retailing $150)

3rd Place: $50 gift card

Register on beatnb.org/fish for rules and guidelines

Lynnsey is a Biology major with a concentration in Biomedical Sciences. She lives in Lake Wales and enjoys kayaking, movies, and soccer. She plans to go to graduate school for Clinical Sciences. Lynnsey plans to improve her writing for working on articles for HerCampus at USF St. Petersburg.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.