Everything You Have Ever Wanted To Know About Halloween Horror Nights 27

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and I’m not talking about Christmas. Halloween is rapidly approaching, and so is the end of Halloween Horror Nights, the nation’s premier Halloween event. Universal Studios Orlando has managed to bring the classics such as “Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining” as well as some newer thrills like FX’s “American Horror Story” and transform them into haunted houses for you to experience. This year is like never before with nine houses including the longest house ever created at HHN with sixteen scenes as well as five scare zones including “The Purge,” “Trick ‘r Treat,” and three original concepts to spook you throughout the park. AKA there is no escaping the horror. So, without further ado, here is a complete detailed list of all the houses and scare zones you and your friends can experience this year at Halloween Horror Nights Orlando 27 as well as some behind the scenes information and photos to get you the inside scoop.

Houses:

1.) FX’s” American Horror Story”

The AHS house has returned for a second year at HHN, except this time it includes never before done seasons Asylum, Coven, and Roanoke. The house begins in Asylum where you are forced to walk through the halls of the notorious Briarcliff where you may encounter some of the deranged patients such as Shelley and Pepper and walk in on Dr. Arden’s disturbing human “Rasper” experiments. Throughout the Asylum portion of the house, you will experience multiple scenes from the hit TV show as well as come face to face with the famous serial killer Bloody Face himself! In Coven, you will be submerged in New Orleans and thrown into the battle between the descendants of the Salem witches. As you encounter the witches, the horror and the murder continues to grow. Characters such as Cordelia, Myrtle Snow,  and Kyle Spencer make an appearance in an attempt to frighten you into the next scene. Finally, the last season included in this house is the real mystery of Roanoke where the Piggy Man awaits to get you, along with the Polk family and the ghosts of the blood moon. This house is on the must-do list for sure.

2.) “The Shining”

“The Shining” house is amazingly replicated after the original movie and provides you with the unique opportunity to relive some of the horrors found in the Overlook Hotel. You first enter the hotel with Jack already starting his descent into insanity and continue to follow his downfall scene by scene. You also get to experience the “shine” and watch the murderous ghosts right before your very eyes all while trying to escape Jack. You even get to make your way through the maze to make it out alive. This house includes scenes from the most memorable parts of the movie so make sure to rewatch this horrifying classic to have the best experience. 

3.) “SAW: The Games of Jigsaw.”

This house is based on one of the highest grossing horror film franchises of all times: SAW. If you dare step inside this house, be prepared for gruesome torture and gore beyond belief. These realistic traps are hard to imagine let alone watch, as people are being forced to torture themselves or else face a tragic death. Scenes include the barbed wire trap, the scalping chair, and the race for how many pounds they can chop off of their own body. If you lose, you die, unless you die during the process. This house is so realistic that you may want to prepare yourself before entering. 

4.)  STARZ “Ash Vs. The Evil Dead” 

In the “Ash Vs. The Evil Dead” house you will submerge into Elk Grove, Mich, approximately thirty years after the first three “Evil Dead” films, following Ash on his journey to save humanity by killing all the deities he accidentally unleashed. This house is more on the comical side of the horror industry, but don’t let that fool you. The jump scares in here are something to look out for. 

5.) “The Horrors of BlumHouse

The filmmakers behind “Sinister,” Insidious,” and “The Purge” have created a house that is scarier than you can imagine. This house is one for the books because all three movies are wrapped up into one mega house including a sneak peek of the upcoming “Insidious: Chapter 4”. You first start in the world of “Sinister” where you will encounter an ancient Pagan deity who is determined to keep you trapped in the shadow world of the dead forever. Next, you step into “The Purge” and experience a home invasion takeover and attempt to escape before the purgers get you. Lastly, you will experience “Insidious”  and get trapped in The Further where the demons await you as well as a live trailer of “Insidious: Chapter 4” movie set to release January fifth, 2018. 

6.) “Hive.”               “Hive” is an original house created by the directors at HHN to terrify you beyond belief. In “Hive” you will step into what the town thought was an abandoned mansion but in reality, it’s the perfect place for a hive of Nosferatu vampires. Step inside if you dare and try not to get bitten because if you wake them up, be prepared to face a savage, bloodthirsty beast. 

7.) Dead Waters

Last year, “Dead Waters” was an original scare zone, now it’s an entire house filled with voodoo and sacrifices. Hop aboard the paddle boat yourself and try not to get eaten by any alligators lurking in the surrounding swamp. The voodoo queen is somewhere inside, and she wants you to be her next sacrifice. This house is the most aesthetically pleasing by far with a realistic paddle boat and swamps that even feel like wetlands when you walk. This one is a must do for everyone. 

8.) “Scarecrow The Reaping”

This original house takes place during the depression at an abandoned farm but, the Earth and the Wind are not too fond of the empty structure sitting on its way. So, they summon the scarecrows to attack the house and anyone in it to regain control of the farm. This house is very creative and has some unique effect rooms that you have to experience. Most people say that “Scarecrow” is the scariest house yet.

9.) “The Fallen”

As always, the best for last. “The Fallen is another original house where you get caught right in between the eternal battle of light vs. dark where the Fallen are winning (AKA dark). This house is very Gothic and filled with gore along with very detailed scenes and special effects. This house is hands down my personal favorite due to some of the stunts performed inside although I’m not going to tell you exactly what or where it is. Just keep your eyes looking EVERYWHERE, and you will know what I am talking about if you somehow make it out of this house alive.

Scare Zones:

“The Purge”

Get immersed into “The Purge” without even stepping foot into a house. This scare zone is filled with weapons, blood, and auctions for obtaining purge victims without a fight. P.S.) Keep a look out for the mini shows that get put on in light of this proud American tradition. United we Purge. * This scare zone is located in front of “The Mummy” rollercoaster. 

2.) “Trick ‘r Treat.”

In the “Trick ‘r Treat” scare zone, walk door to door and experience the horrors lurking on the street in this twisted tribute to Halloween. This scare zone is the most aesthetically pleasing with over 350 hand carved pumpkins throughout the Central Park area including glowing pumpkin lights that hang in the trees. Make sure you make your way through this dim stretch of the pathway for the perfect picture opportunity. *This scare zone is located in the pathway between “E.T” and Mel’s dinner. 

3.) “Festival of the Deadliest”

This creative scare zone was created so that when you look at it from afar it seems like there is a massive festival going on in the street but, as you walk closer you start to see all the twisted festivities and crazy party guests. In this scare zone alone, 43,004 souls were created just to make you scream. So go ahead and join in on the fun and make your way through this terrifying original scare zone. *Located between the Hello Kitty shop and Mel’s Dinner. 

4.) “Invasion!”

It’s 1955, and the aliens are invading! Only this time they are performing human experiments to prepare their invasion of Earth. Will you be there next victim? This scare zone isn’t classified as terrifying, but it’s cool as hell with a real-life UFO is sitting in the streets as well as military trying to stop the inevitable. “Invasion!” is a picture perfect opportunity to up your Instagram game as well as make all your friends back at home jealous. * This scare zone is located between London and Old New York.

5.) “Altars of Horror”

This scare zone is a combination of all the houses present at HHN 27 and the character associated with them including the twins from “The Shining” and the Lipstick-face demon from “Insidious.” The most memorable characters from every house will be here so watch out! *This scare zone is located at the park entrance between the Shrek ride and the Despicable Me ride. 

Conclusion:

Well, there you have it, a complete rundown of all things HHN. If you’re interested in attending Halloween Horror Nights Orlando this year, the tickets start at $59.99 and go up from there. I was also blessed to have been given tickets to both tours offered for HHN. The first is called the Unmasking the Horror Tour where you get to experience all of the houses in the daytime with the lights on. That means that you can see the houses with no scare actors and look at the sets and the incredible detail that goes into the houses at HHN Orlando. My experience was unforgettable, and I highly recommend purchasing this tour if you can. The second tour I got to go on was the R.I.P. Tour or also known as the V.I.P. tour. Now, if you want to go in every single house, ride, scare zone and see every show in one night, this is a necessity. You get a tour guide to take you anywhere you want to go in the park and skip ALL THE LINES, including the express lines. There is also FREE FOOD involved, and it’s a buffet. Included are valet parking, a commemorable lanyard, and a red carpet just for you to walk on. I highly recommend this tour to anybody who is only going to HHN one time. If you don’t get the R.I.P tour or at least the express passes, I can guarantee that you won’t get to experience everything that Halloween Horror Nights has to offer.  *Tickets for the Unmasking the Horror tour start at $79.99 per person and the R.I.P tour starts at $159.99 per person. So run forth and get your HHN tickets before they sell out! I’ll see you there. PS.) Keep an eye out for my next article on the exclusive interview I scored with one of the Head Event Directors and one of the fabulous special effects makeup artists for Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights. It drops next Saturday at noon. 

HCXO,

Leah Germain <3

Leah Germain is a sophomore mass communications major at the University of South Florida St. Peterburg. She has passions of acting, singing, modeling, makeup/ skincare, and fashion. She aspires to one day be a media broadcaster and hopefully be the next Katie Couric but until then she can be found in her spare time at Starbucks, singing in the car, or getting her nails done. Leah Germain lives in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.