Easy and Nutritious Snacks to Bring to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

While being in college, it is easy to eat a lot of junk food. We are always “on the go,” and we may not have the most money. However, there are some easy ‘’do it yourself’’ snacks to bring to class, eat for lunch, or enjoy whenever that won’t break the bank or your stomach!

DIY Spinach Chips (An alternative to potato chips)

I would have never enjoyed something like this, but I promise it tastes delicious!

You’ll need:

Baby spinach leaves

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. While that is heating up, start off by washing and drying your spinach thoroughly.  Cover any pan of your choice with tin foil, and place your spinach leaves on the pan. Dust the leaves with olive oil on both sides. (You could also put the leaves in a bag with the oil and shake it up!) Now use some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, or any seasoning of your choice. Once your oven is preheated, start out with the leaves in for about five minutes, but keep checking! They crisp up fast. (I liked mine a little well done.)  This snack will definitely quench your need for some salt!

Easiest snack ever.. Yogurt and Grapes.

How is something so easy, so good?!

You’ll need:

Yogurt of your choice (I used fat free vanilla yogurt from Publix)

Grapes

Wash your grapes thoroughly. Take one cup of yogurt (or more, it is up to you) and a handful of grapes. There are Tupperware containers meant for snacks like these. (I like to leave the grapes and yogurt separated and mix them myself.) Could it get any easier or tastier?

DIY Chips and Fruit Salsa

Yes we are making the chips too!

For the salsa you’ll need:

Apples

Oranges

Strawberries

Cinnamon

Sugar

The amount of fruit you want to use is completely up to you, so are the fruits you choose. (These are my favorites.) Start by cutting up your fruit into small chunks, and place them in a mixing bowl. Then put about a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon in with the fruit and mix well.  Pack, and go!

For the chips you’ll need:

Whole wheat tortilla

Butter flavored cooking spray

Cinnamon

Sugar

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cut the tortilla into small triangles. (I find it easiest to use a pizza cutter.) Put them on a foil covered pan and lightly spray them with the cooking spray. Then mix together equal parts of cinnamon and sugar, depending on how many chips you are making and sprinkle that mixture on the chips (If you do too much, just shake it off!). Cook the tortillas for about six minutes, and they will be nice and crispy!

Enjoy! ☺

Maybe you are looking for more a lunch you could make for yourself? I’ve got it.

Peanut Butter and Apple Wrap

You’ll need:

Apple

Peanut butter

Whole wheat tortilla

Cut up the apple into tiny chunks. Spread a thin and even amount of peanut butter on your tortilla. Sprinkle the apple evenly over the tortilla. Wrap it up, cut in half, stuff t in a sandwich carriers and you are on your way!

Not so handy in the kitchen? I always find some interesting healthy snacks at Publix. I usually buy them when they are “buy one get one free” or “2 for $5.”

Cascadian Farm granola bars only have seven ingredients and they don’t taste like dirt. They are sweet and are a great snack between classes. Another great snack is the Horizon snack crackers, cheddar flavored. This is an organic snack that tastes just like Gold Fish. I’ll take it!

Eating well and quick is possible in college. All it takes is a little planning ☺

Have fun and be full!

All photos and recipes are by Marla Cooper.

Marla is a Junior at University of South Florida - Saint Petersburg. She is a Mass Communications major. She loves to write and talk to people, and she is a huge animal lover. She hopes to continue to work for a magazine after graduation!
Kelly Mora-Romero is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF St. Petersburg. She was born in Colombia but has lived in the US since 2004. As a Global Business and Marketing major with a minor in Mass Communications, Kelly's dream job is to work in international marketing with a big communications company; traveling is a must! Her biggest inspiration for stories come from local or campus-related news, advise for the every-day life and tips on success. If you wish to contact Campus Correspondent Kelly for article ideas or any comments/concerns/issues at USFSP email at: kellyromero@hercampus.com For any other personal inquiries email: kellyjulieth@mail.usf.edu HCXO