Debunked: Common Myths about Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Are you tired of hearing all these rumors about sex, and not knowing what to believe? I decided to search the web for five of the most common sex myths that will help you set the record straight!

1.     There is no such thing as “The G-Spot”

Are you kidding? Studies have found that there is actual physical evidence of this “erogenous zone.” In fact, they say that “women who were able to achieve vaginal orgasms had thicker-than-average tissue between the vagina and the urethra…. Hit the right spot and within 10 seconds you’ll know it” Now all you have to do is to try the best position that works for you! (Women’s Health)

2.     You can’t get an STD if you have sex in water

In fact it’s the opposite. “You are actually more likely to catch and STD from an infected partner when you’re not dry-docked… water washes away the body’s natural lubricant, creating more friction, which increases the risk of tears in the vagina, where bacteria and viruses can enter.” Not only that, but even condoms can become weaker under water if it contains oil-based substances like bubble soap and sunscreen. (Women’s Health)

3.     There’s no way you can get pregnant when you’re on your period.

Wrong again. “Sperm can live inside the body for up to a week, so if you have sex during your period and then ovulate shortly after, [the sperm] could still be hanging around.]” Not only that, but you can actually get pregnant at any stage of your menstrual cycle, even on the day you get your period! (Women’s Health)

4.     You can’t get pregnant if you use the “pull out” method.

Also known as the Rhythm method. “Potentially the worse form of birth control. Men do not always know when [fluid and sperm] is released, and [even a little] is enough to get a woman pregnant.” Definitively not the way to go; always use a backup method of birth control! (Ask Men)

5.     If you use a tampon, you’ll lose your virginity

Did you hear this one from mom too? The only way to lose your virginity is to have sex. It’s actually believed that some girls tear their hymen by playing sports or during strenuous activities. “Tampons work just as well for girls who are virgins as they do for girls who have had sex… it does not cause a girl to lose her virginity. Only having sex can do that” (Teens health)

So now you know! If you’d like to share a myth with us, leave them in the comments below!

Alejandra Vera

Sources

Teens Health

http://kidshealth.org/teen/expert/periods/use_tampon.html

Ask Men

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/dating/top-10-myths-about-sex_1.html

Women’s Health

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-relationships/sex-myths

Pictures courtesy of Tumblr

Vice President of Her Campus at the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Junior majoring in Mass Communications, with a Minor in Journalism.