50 Reasons Why USFSP is AMAZEBALLS!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Hey, did you know that USFSP is only 50 years old? This year is the 50th Anniversary and with the year coming to a close, and Christmas being around the corner, I thought it only necessary to display why USFSP is soooooooo amazing. So enjoy being enlightened on why USFSP is amazeballs. I’m about to blow your mind!

1. We are a community

We all know almost everyone’s faces. I can literally say hi to someone I don’t know and guess what? I just made a friend. We’re so tight knit that just going to the same university somehow makes us all family. It’s kind of beautiful, like birth or something.

2. Opportunities on FLEEK

When I tell you we have opportunities! From involvements, jobs, workshops, retreats, connections and even the community. We’re going to all be mini Obama’s one day, wait on it.

3. The professors know our names

Because we have a small school, we have small classes. The professors have no choice but to remember our names, there are only about 20 of us in a class.

4. Our dorms have kitchens

One of our housing buildings, Residence Hall One, all of the rooms have kitchens. Just let that sink in.

5. We get free bus rides

We don’t even know how much the bus costs, we just show our ID and then BAM! Free ride to Neverland.

6. I can get a recommendation letter in like two seconds

Because my professors actually know who I am, they can see me grow as a student which makes it easier to get a recommendation letter.

7. It takes me less than ten minutes to get to class

According to Google Maps, the farthest walk to one building to another is only seven minutes. SEVEN MINUTES.

8. Green and Gold is in this year

Even the fashion world knows what’s good. USFSP students bleed green and gold, and we look good doing it.

9. Private school education for a public school price

While some students are paying $60,000, we pay about $20,000 and it’s the same exact thing. (Sometimes even better!) So our students basically save over $40,000.

10. We have a fountain that looks like Beyonce bathed in it

Our fountain is gorgeous. I’m 100 percent sure Beyonce would not hesitate to take a bath in it. We’re talking about BEYONCE people.

11. We have a waterfront with kayaking and stuff

And by stuff I mean paddleboarding, canoeing and even sailing. Oh, and did I forget to mention this was all free?

12. We have a pool and it’s huge

Our pool recently got fixed up and guess what? It’s beautiful; it’s like the CoverGirl of pools.

13. We’re like two seconds away from everything

St. Petersburg is a small and cute city. Everything is close, from Beach Drive to Publix to CVS. And if we don’t want to walk, again, the bus is free.

14. Our chancellor gives us free ID cards twice a month

Every first and last Friday, our chancellor is in the library ready to give us new ID cards that have the “University of South Florida St. Petersburg” on the back. Yep, thats right, the chancellor actually interacts with us. And how could I forget, that’s free too!

15. We’ve seen every Hunger Games released movie

Our Harborside Activities Board has paid for us to see the Hunger Games movies. Let’s just say we all have a bond with Katniss Everdeen (BESTIES!).

16. We are soooo ahead when it comes to social issues

We have all types of trainings to make sure that our leaders are aware of social issues. An example being Safe Zone Training, where students and staff get trained on LGBT issues. In other words, we’re where Obama wanted the country to be socially years ago. (You’re welcome Obama)

17. We watch movies together

We have Movies on the Lawn where we get free popcorn, candy and drinks to watch FREE movies. We’re just cool like that.

18. We have discounts on so much in the community

We have so many discounts, it’s hard to keep up with. This includes Burrito Boarder, The Eagle Cafe, Tropical Smoothie, Rowdy’s Games and more. We have an entire department dedicated to this. If only you knew how tiring it is to save all of this money.

19. We have a volleyball and basketball court

As if the waterfront wasn’t enough, we decided to add a volleyball and basketball court on top of that.

20. Our bike sharing program

Our students can rent out bikes for over 24 hours. Get on our level.

21. Faculty and staff actually care

Everyday I am constantly seeing proof that this isn’t just some job to our faculty and staff. This is their passion and they truly do care.

22. All of our freshmen have Peer Coaches

Our freshmen don’t have to call ghostbusters, they have Peer Coaches.

23. When it comes to food, we ask and then we receive!

Although we can simply get prepared food from the Reef, if I asked for eggs or gluten free food, I shall receive it.

24. Dolphins like us

If you chill by the water for a while, you could probably see a dolphin jump or swim by. Even Ariel the mermaid is jealous of our status.

25. We take pictures on our Bull

Certain schools need permission or can’t even touch their mascot statutes at all. Us, on the other hand, take pictures on our Bull whenever we want.

26. Sometimes administration makes us breakfast

During finals week, there is the Late Night Breakfast event that is themed and administration serves us breakfast until midnight. It’s a win win situation.

27. Tutoring is free…like it doesn’t cost anything

When that private school education gets tough, we have free tutoring to the rescue. #AvengersLife

28. The Resident Assistants are fire

Our Resident Assistants are awesome. The End.

29. Our library is an actual resource

Our library allows us to rent out rooms, laptops and certain textbooks. We even have wireless printing. I know, we’re just so flawless.

30. We have boats and stuff

Along with the sailing that the waterfront offers, there are also other bigger boats, such as the Jenny Lynn, that could be rented out for sailing.

31. Social Acceptance is higher than Wiz Khalifa

We accept everyone no matter of their gender, race, body type or anything. If you wanted colored yarn in your hair and wanted to ride a light up scooter, no one will judge you. (trust me, I know this from experience)

32. We have a fantastic Facebook page

We have a Know It All Guide on Facebook that is used for information, promoting and more. Even Facebook appreciates us.

33. Our Biology program is like Taylor Swift’s 1989 album, PERFECT

Of course all the majors here are terrific, but our Biology program is fabulous. A few months ago, biology majors got the chance to dissect a shark. I rest my case.

34. People give us millions of dollars because they see our awesomeness

Last year, Kate Tiedemann donated $10 million to our College of Business. Someone knows how to invest their money.

35. We have a street named after us

Recently one of the streets were changed to “University Way” in honor of our amazingness.

36. On-campus cops are so clutch, they’re like cars

They do multiple rounds that makes the school feel safe. Plus, they talk to us from time to time and give us rides to our dorms when it’s raining.

37. The University Student Center looks like Jay Z should buy it

Look at this picture….I again rest my case.

38. We have breathable oxygen

We have a smoke free campus which makes the air feel a little more fresh

39. We have the Tavern and the Grind

An inch from our campus is where the Tavern and Grind are located. They serve awesome food and great coffee.

40. We are natural terrific fundraisers (dance marathon)

We’ve always been skillful at fundraising. An example would be Dance Marathon last year. We went over three times our goal to raise money for All Children’s Hospital.

41. We can chalk without a request form

You know how certain schools make you fill out a request form to chalk around the school. Yeah…we don’t have that.

42. We have an Office of Multicultural Affairs

Not many schools are blessed with an entire department created to appreciate all walks of life. Well we do, and we’re grateful for that.

43. We have a lot of Guy Harvey stuff

Guy Harvey, maybe you heard of him but he is this huge artist. Well many of his paintings are all over our school. We got it like that.

44. There are dozens of different flower species on campus

There. Are. So. Many. Pretty. Flowers.

45. We barely get bored

There are almost always magnificent events, but when there aren’t, we have an entire great city that is waiting for us to explore it.

46. Our Student Life Center is new-ish

There were some additions added during the summer and trust me, the building is a lot better.

47. We have soooooo many clubs and organizations

From Longboarding Club to Future Theme Park Industrialist; we even have a Needle’s Art Club.  There is an organization for every interest. And if there isn’t, a student could easily create a club to fix that.

48. Our students did great in high school

According to the usfsp.edu website, the average high school GPA of admitted First Time in College students was a 3.56 and the average ACT score was a 24.

49. We are number 23 in the long list of 2016 Best Regional Public Universities

Just in case you didn’t catch on yet, we are the bees knees.

50. We gained all of this amazeballsness in only 50 years

It hasn’t even been a century yet and look at all we’ve done!

Photo Resources

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419397784021197508/

http://faculty.usfsp.edu/jewell/Photographs/

https://twitter.com/usfspcamprec

http://www.usfspconnect.com/late-night-breakfast-photos-3/

https://www.usfsp.edu/campusrec/recreation/aquatics/

http://www.usfsp.edu/housing/rho/

https://www.facebook.com/bullsintheburg/photos/a.10151541675268544.1073741829.123318448543/10153727741963544/?type=3&theater

https://www.usfsp.edu/campusrec/recreation/camps/

http://www.wusf.usf.edu/news_tv/program/university_beat/usf_st_petersburg_50th_anniversary

http://www.usfspconnect.com/5-decades-of-usfsp/

Choya Randolph is a Mass Communication major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She loves writing blogs and yearns to be writer for magazines or television entertainment. She's a junior and is bound to graduate Fall 2015. She plans to go to graduate school to get her Masters. To contact Choya email her at choya@mail.usf.edu
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.