This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

I have finally joined the 21 & Up club! It’s not as glamorous as I once thought it would be. Alcohol is not always cheap and clubs aren’t always fun. I thought I would recount my first night of being 21 with 21 things I learned that night.

1. Be prepared to sweat a lot. Bring ear plugs, a bottle of water (to leave in the car for after the club), and comfortable shoes.

2. Even though you hand the bouncer your REAL ID on your birthday, they may not believe you, if you look young. It’s annoying.

3. Take A LOT pictures. You don’t have to post them, but at least you’ll remember the night (maybe) the next day.

4. Be careful who you accept free drinks from. Don’t become a newspaper story.

5. If you carry a purse, make sure to keep it zipped and attached to your body at all times.

6. Keep your friends in eyesight. Girls have to have each other’s backs, especially around weird older men who try to hit on someone in your group.

7. It is okay to flirt with the cute bartender. It might be part of his job to flirt back, but you can consider him one of your conquests of the night.

8. Clubs with rooftops are the best.

9. Wearing heels to a club is just a stupid decision. Take care of your feet, and don’t burn out all your energy in the first hour because you chose the wrong shoes.

10. Ditch the dresses, go for jeans and a cute top. Yes, it is easier to go to the bathroom in a dress, but choose the jeans for comfort. And again, you don’t want any weirdos getting any ideas.

11. Don’t sit on the toilets in a club. They are disgusting. Enough said. Bring your own toilet paper  or a pack of tissues, if you want to be on the extra prepared side.

12. Drag shows are amazing. One of the clubs we went to (it’s called the “Honey Pot” if you’re local to Tampa) had an incredible lineup of Drag Queens, and they were quite incredible performers. Definitely one of the highlights of the night.

13. Take an uber. If you’ve never taken an uber before, your 21st birthday is a good place to start. If you even have to think about weather or not you’ll be safe enough to drive, leave your car at home or somewhere safe and take an uber. Keep yourself safe.

14. Don’t wear any jewelry that you wouldn’t miss if it were lost or stolen. Don’t wear that brand new diamond bracelet; it’s just a bad idea. Shop at places like Forever 21 for cute, cheap, and easily replaceable accessories.

15. Wear your hair down, but bring a hair-tie. I love the feeling of my hair cascading down my shoulders as I dance, but eventually it does get stuffy and sweaty.

16. Hydrate when you can. Drinking water in between alcoholic drinks- when you pay for drinks at the bar, the bartender will usually give you a cup of water for free.

17. It’s fun to dance with strangers! (Just be safe)

18. Go to the bathroom as a squad. Go to the bar as a squad. Go to the rooftop as a squad. I think you get the point.

19. Bars are not as fun as clubs. You can’t really dance in a bar, and it’s really hard to hear anyways.

20. DON’T get a drink with an energy supplement in it (Red Bull, Monster, etc.).

21. You’re exhausted at the end of the night, but it was all so worth the fun and sparkly eyeshadow.

HCXOXO,

Hayley Garron

Hayley Nicole Garron is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, currently majoring in Journalism. She has passions of reading, writing, playing soccer, shopping, and doing things for others, and she aspires to to gain her fame by creating a novel so amazing you won't want to put it down. In her spare time, she can be found watching YouTube videos, writing her blog, "This is why I'm Haute," or trying new DIY's found on pinterest. USFSP has been a great influence to help her find more of herself in growing up.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.