What to Do When You’re Struggling in Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

For some of us, passing high school was a breeze, but when we entered college, it changed. We now had to sit through lectures and teach ourselves, especially if the teacher does not teach well. We may have studied for an exam for hours only to get it back and see a giant F. So what should you do? Well, that’s what this list is for.

1. Talk to your professor

Professors don’t want to fail you. They don’t take joy by a student’s low test scores since a bad grade reflects on their teaching. So try to go office hours or set up another appointment to see them. I find that going to a professor’s office hours, whether it’s writing, math, or facts, helps me so much! At office hours, the professor goes over what they are looking for in tests and will go at a pace that helps you.

2. Tutoring

Most schools have some type of learning center of where current students help you. Take advantage of this resource. This is where your tuition money goes. Also, these students are tutors for a reason. They should help you in understanding the material better, especially if you do not understand something the way your specific teacher explained it.

3. Set aside time to study

I feel like this is a very cliche thing to say about studying, but it’s true. If you know you are struggling in a class, then set aside more time to work on that material than others. The extra hours you spend studying will reflect in your grades.

4. Prioritize studying

It sucks, but sometimes you need to turn down going to a party in order to buckle down and study. If you need to tell your friends that you can’t go out because you have to study, then do it. I’m not saying do this all the time, but if you know you have a big exam coming up, then you gotta make the smart choice.

5. Relax

Grades aren’t everything. One bad grade will not ruin you. Remember to relax and just try to pass the class. As long as you give it your best, your teacher will know and help you out.

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!