element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mother’s Day Gift Guide (On A College Budget)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

As Mother’s Day is around the corner (Sunday, May 8th), the pressure is on to A) not forget, B) prove you’re the best child ever, and C) thank her for everything she has done. So, below is a list of thoughts and ideas to make your momma (or mommas, or dads who do it all) feel the love this year without breaking the bank (most supplies can be found online or at any local store), and even some options if you don’t get to physically spend the day with the special lady.

1. Handmade card or crafts

Because nothing makes a mom tear up more than reminding her you’re still her baby. Go get your Pinterest on or let your creative juices flow. Really, a card should go with ANYTHING you’re getting her, but a simple card can show mom you remembered. If you’re not with her, these can easily go into the mail. Doing a few items and sending them together would definitely qualify as a little care package (but throw in a sweet treat because yum).

Some easy ideas include:

2. An “IOU” booklet

Besides the fact we owe her for our lives and everything she’s given us (diapers, food, clothes, college, love, etc.), we can owe her some more this summer. Similar to above, but for my last minute folks, make a nice little card or booklet of things you promise to do for her over the summer or the next time you see her – but you better follow through! Promise to take her out to dinner and a movie, or to clean out the garage, or even wash her car! 

3. Groupon

For those of you who have never experienced the wonders of this discount site that personally turns me into a middle-aged couponer, get on groupon right now.

There’s a plethora of discounted activities that companies are selling such as wine tastings, bottomless mimosa breakfasts, site-seeing tours (I did a cupcake tour that was BOMB), crafts night, and more! This is perfect for if you’re celebrating with mom on that day (mimosas with momma?) or sending her the gift to treat herself or use together at a later date (you can literally just email the groupon to her). No need to buy a cheap necklace that she’ll never wear when you can give her the memories of spending the day together doing somehting fun.

4. A lovely meal

An easy gift is to take her out to a nice meal, or pick up the tab at her favorite restaurant, or somewhere you have previously Yelped. 

If you want to save a buck though, you can whip up a simple pasta dish for her (maybe our one pot mac and cheese, because who doesn’t love some comfort food) and allow her to relax for the night. If you’re not together, send her a cute care package of pasta noodles and sauce, have her prepare it as you do the same, and have a skype dinner-date both sharing the same meal.

5. Wine tasting

For those of you lucky enough to be with mom, and in an area that has excellent wine (holla atcha Napa), take mom on a scenic drive and enjoy one or two wineries. If you Yelp ahead of time, you can find which ones have cheaper options, such as $15-$25 per tasting/glass. You also don’t have to do a full tasting flight at most wineries, you can just get one glass (that they’ll help you decide on so you are no where near disappointed), and take your drink and walk around the site/hang out together. If you’re not together, but your mom still lives near wineries or is coming to visit later, a lot of them have gift certificates or wine passports (which allows you to go to several wineries and get free wine tastings for two for a year).

6. Sports game

For my sporty fams, get some tickets to a baseball (go Giants) or basketball (go Warriors – although good luck with that because they are KILLING it) game. I know some games will be having Mother’s Day promotions (like the Giants are giving a Mother’s Day tote to the first, like, 5,000 people that show up to the game). Check out Stubhub or Gametime for tickets. If you can’t get tickets, but mom still loves watching, get your fan gear on and go to a local sports bar and order up some drinks and/or appetizers! Ballin’ (haha get it?) on a budget? Make some margaritas, cheap food and watch the game at home!

7. Flowers

Old faithful never goes wrong. Mom will love a bouquet of flowers to remind her you’re thinking of her. Flower deliveries can get expensive pretty quickly, though most major flower delivery companies have online coupons, so be sure to search for those before ordering. If you can splurge, get potted flowers (or pot some yourself and decorate the pot) so they don’t die, and she can plant them outside later or keep them on her desk, remembering your love for her all year long.

8.  Spa day

On the pricier side (but maybe dad, grandma, or siblings might like to go in on this with you), a nice spa day could be just what your mom needs! You could even give her a gift card to use at a later date!

If that doesn’t work, make a care package or gift basket with at-home spa items, such as slippers, face mask, tea, cucumber water, nail polish, lotion, etc. (A lot of this can be found in the dollar section or on sale at Target, Michaels (which always has online coupons you can screenshot and show the cashier), or Walmart.

9. Museums

Similar to what might be found on Groupon, a museum is always a nice trip that can take up a lot of time. Most museums also have student discounts if you show them your school I.D. How cute would it be to stop and get some coffee before going to see the Oscar de la Renta exhibit at the de Young in Golden Gate Park? Maybe then a nice stroll to the Conservatory of Flowers?

10.  Hike/walk

For those of us lucky enough to live by so many beautiful beaches and mountains, a walk along the beach/bay or a hike on Mt. Tamelpias could be some great mommy and me time (and maybe your pups?).

11.  Beach day

How about packing up some blankets and that hat you bought that you never actually wear, driving out to the coast, and enjoying some rays or even the sunset? Maybe even pack a little picnic.

12. Tattoos

I have to include it for the rad parents out there…  Getting a matching tattoo is a beautiful, forever connection, and possibly something you’ve already talked to mom (and maybe the siblings) about. From my expereince, the minimum for a tattoo is typically around $80, and a lot of artisits are really cool about only charging the minimum for a couple small tattoos if they’re super simple. I got three very simple tattoos at once and they only charged me the minimum, so if you ask, they might give you a deal. If you’re nervous they wouldn’t, call and ask, and make sure they’re open that day and take walk-ins!

For my peeps who might not have mom around anymore, and you’ve been considering getting a tattoo in her honor, maybe this is the right day to do it? Celebrate the day (as you probably do everyday) honoring her and your love for her. 

For all of these, here are some reminders:

Make sure to put your phone away and try to ignore all the social media buzz (except when you post about her) or school stress – the main lady in your life just wants to spend some time with you and feel like you’re really present and focused on her. Ask her how work’s been or what she’s actually been up to lately – it’s not about you that day. 

Don’t forget to take lots of pictures and give momma a shout out on Instagram and Facebook, because really nothing makes her feel more special and loved than your shout out being better than the ones her friends got! Plus, she’ll feel pretty special that you think she’s cool enough to tell all your friends about.

Ask for help – mom, dad, grandma, aunt, cousin, sibling – whether it’s finding a good picture to frame, finding out what she actually wants, or doing a joint present – many minds can create great things together!

Remember, the element of surprise can make a huge impact, so for some of these just tell mom not to plan anything around the time of when you want to celebrate her! 

Lastly, the most important thing to remember is that your mom, or moms, (or insert important guardian here), are first and foremost a mom. The day she had you (and/or your siblings) she gave up every other title and position and her most important job became being your mom. She’s given up parties, sleep, food, money, vacations, a clean house, a social life, and more just to give you everything she possibly could. This is literally the day to say thank you for doing a damn good job at the most intense job she ever chose to take on.

Shannon is a senior at the University of San Francisco. Missing her Bay Area home, she transferred after a couple years at Seattle Univeristy as a marketing major. On campus, Shannon is a member of the Xi Lambda chapter of Delta Zeta Sorority, as well as works as the Coca-Cola University of San Francisco Campus Ambassador. When she isn't working or studying, you can find her at a SF Giants game or taking her puppy to the beach. Shannon loves road trips, strong coffee, movies that make her cry, and the Oxford comma. 
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!