Healthy Snacks To Help You Get Through Exams and Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

We’ve all been there – you’re stressed out because you have a million things to do but you’re finding it difficult to motivate yourself to start that essay or focus on studying for that exam. At least for me, I simply can’t study if I’m not snacking on something. Couple that with the fact that people snack more when they are stressed and you have about 9 pounds of the “Freshman 15” accounted for. Snacking isn’t always bad though, especially if you know the kind of foods you can eat freely without worrying about those extra calories. Here are some lower-calorie, healthy snacks worth trying out:

1. Low-fat Greek Yogurt With Fruit Toppings.  Put your favorite greek yogurt in a cup and top it off with some fruits, honey, granola (or whatever you want really)!

2. Edamame.  Edamame is a great healthy snack. You can eat the raw, slightly steamed or even with a sprinkle of your favorite seasonings. Grab yourself a bowl of them and enjoy!

3. Mixed Nuts Snacks. There are so many types of mixed nuts out there like cashews, almonds, pistachios and more! Try and find nuts that unsalted or “in the raw” for the best benefits. 

4. Dried Fruits Some of my favorite are dried apricots, bananas, mango, and coconut. You can even buy a variety and mix them together in a snack bag!

5. Granola/ Energy Bars.  Another great way to keep yourself energized while studying is simply having an energy bar! The pictures below are some of my favorite ones to snack on.

6. Toast With Honey/ With Whipped Cream. You can’t go wrong with the toast and honey combination. If you don’t mind it being a little bit high in calories, you can also add some butter. Another way is topping the toast with whipped cream and some fruits of your choice.

7. Hard-boiled Egg. Cut your hard boiled egg into small slices and enjoy it with some pepper. You can also add siracha, avacado or a piece of whole grain toast!

Happy Snacking!

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!