Galentine’s Day: “It’s Only the Best Day of the Year”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Valentine’s Day, February 14: Another reminder that a year has gone by and I am still single.

Galentine’s Day, February 13: A day created by Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. Leslie describes it best as: “Ladies celebrating ladies”

My opinion is biased, for as I stated, I am single and not the most enthusiastic about Valentine’s Day. But Galentine’s Day? That’s a day I can get excited for. Here’s my thing about Valentine’s Day – it’s really only meant for couples, and as a result, most of us women who are single are left to feel shitty. Galentine’s Day on the other hand, celebrates friendships and is meant for all women; whether your’e in a relationship, single, or somewhere in between.

So what is Galentine’s Day? Leslie Knope (my hero) created Galentine’s Day. She explains, “Oh it’s only the best day of the Year. Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus angst. Plus frittatas.” What more could you want? Breakfast, friends and frittatas? I’m sold. Galentine’s day is ultimately a day devoted to celebrating your girlfriends! Couples get a whole day so why shouldn’t friends?

Galentine’s Day sounds great, right? We all want to celebrate our closest friends. I for one couldn’t imagine my life without them! So how should you celebrate? Keep reading for some fun ideas on how to celebrate this Galentine’s Day!

1. Indulge in Waffles, Leslie Knope Style

If you’ve ever seen Parks and Rec, you know that Leslie is obsessed with waffles. And if you’ve never seen Parks and Rec (first off, go watch it!), Leslie Knope loves waffles more than anyone: “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.” So have your girlfriends over for a homemade brunch! Making it a potluck is a great way to save money too! And who doesn’t love homemade breakfast?

2. Plan a Day Trip

The amount of places my friends and I say “Let’s go!” and then never end up visiting is endless. We legitimately have a list of trips we want to take and places we want to visit. Pick a place you and your friends have been dying to go, and actually go! You’ll get to experience something new while spending some great quality time with your BFFs. It’s a great way to celebrate your friendship!

3. Treat yo self!

I really didn’t mean for this post to be all about Parks and Rec, but here we are with another Parks and Rec reference: TREAT YO SELF! A day created by Tom and Donna where they spend all day, you guessed it, treating themselves! Why not combine “Treat yo self” day with Galentine’s Day: Manicures, pedicures, shopping, brunch, massages, anything you want, because…Treat yo self.

4. Spa Day

Again, the amount of times my friends and I have talked about a Spa day: 20. The amount of times we’ve actually gone to the Spa: 0. Galentine’s Day is a great opportunity to make it happen! And who doesn’t want a spa day? #TreatYoSelf

5. Throw a Party

What better reason to throw a party than celebrating all your closest friends? And let it be noted this is very different from the “I hate Valentine’s Day” parties like the one Jessica Biel’s character threw in the movie Valentine’s Day. A party on Galentine’s Day pays no attention to the holiday that follows this amazing day. Instead, it celebrates the amazing women who attend, and the amazing relationships y’all have built throughout your friendships.

Happy Galentines Day, Collegiettes! 

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!